Elmore

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ELMORE, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-AND-KINGS-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Gloucester, containing 355 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester) endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir Berkeley William Guise, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has an embattled tower at the west end: The waters in the neighbourhood abound with eels, from which Elmore probably derived its name. The river Severn is navigable on the west of the parish; but, owing to a rock extending nearly across the stream there is only a narrow channel for vessels of light draught, except at high water. There are a day and Sunday schools, supported by Sir B.W. Guise.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Elmore/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library