Great Witcombe

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WHITCOMBE (MAGNA), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DUDSTONE-and-KING'S-BARTON, county of GLOUCESTER, 3½ miles (N.E. by N.) from Painswick, containing 155 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £4. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Sir W. Hicks, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Near the foot of Cooper's Hill, on a delightful spot in this parish, the remains of a Roman villa, with a sacrarium, baths, &c., were discovered in 1818, the walls of which, to the height of nearly six feet, are remaining, some of them being covered with, stucco painted in panels of different colours, elegantly ornamented with ivy leaves. Several of the apartments were paved with red sand-stone, others with beautiful mosaic work, and in many of them have been found fragments of columns, and cornices of white marble, numerous coins of the Lower Empire, from Constantine to Valentinian and Vales, various domestic utensils, and other relics in copper and iron, an axe, a British hatchet, and the skulls of bullocks and goats, with fragments of stags' horns, &c.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/GreatWitcombe/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library