St John's Church, Lea

Recent Photograph of St John's Church (Lea)

St John's Church stands alongside the main road above the main part of the village. It contains a 12th century font resting on an elephant!!

The Church was locked so no photograph of the interior is available.

Note: prior to 1844, Lea parish comprised the townships of Upper Lea, which belonged to the county of Herefordshire, and Lower Lea, which belonged to Gloucestershire. In 1844, when they were united, Lower Lea was transferred to of Herefordshire. The parish church was in township of Lower Lea, so was therefore in Gloucestershire.

(Information provided by Phil Draper/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 2nd March 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Lea/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library