Leigh (The Leigh)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LEIGH, a parish comprising the hamlet of Evington, in the lower division of the hundred of WESTMINSTER, but chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of DEERHURST, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Gloucester, and containing 340 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Deerhurst, within which, however, no ecclesiastical authority is exercised, the parishes being virtually in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; it is rated in the king's books at £7. 16. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. James. The navigable river Severn and the Coombe Hill canal pass through the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Leigh/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library