Longborough

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LONGBOROUGH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Stow on the Wold, containing; with the hamlet of Bankfee, 526 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Seasoncote united, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £5. 15., and in the patronage of Chandos Leigh, Esq., and Sir Charles Cockerell, Bart., the former having two presentations, and the latter one. The church, dedicated to St. James, has lately received an addition of one hundred and ninety sittings, of which one hundred and seventy-two are free, and towards defraying the expense of which the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels contributed £90. The source of the river Evenlode is in this parish, and the Fosse-way passes through it.

BANKFEE, or SOUTH-FIELD, a hamlet in the parish of LONGBOROUGH, upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, l mile (N. by W.) from Stow on the Wold. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Longborough/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library