Moreton in Marsh

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MORETON-in-the-MARSH, a market-town and parish in the upper division of the hundred of WESTMINSTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 28 miles (E.N.E.) from Gloucester, and 83 (W.N.W.) from London, containing 1015 inhabitants. This town is situated in a pleasant valley, on the high road from London to Worcester, which is here crossed by the Roman Fosse-way: it is an inconsiderable place, and is neither lighted nor paved. A public library is supported by subscription. The only branch of manufacture is that of linen-cloth, which furnishes employment to about fifty persons. A railway passes hence to Stratford upon Avon, being chiefly used for the conveyance of coal.

In the reign of Henry III., the abbot of Westminster, lord of the manor, procured a charter for a weekly market, which, though on the decline, is still held on Tuesday. There are fairs on the 25th of March, and the 1st of November, but they are very little resorted to. Constables are appointed at the court held for the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton on the Hill, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The church is dedicated to St. David. There is a place of worship for Independents. A National school was endowed in 1813, with £4000, by Lord Redesdale and Dr. Winford; the present income is about £140 per annum, and about one hundred children of both sexes are educated: there is likewise a free school for the children of dissenters, having about thirty boys on the foundation. On the heath is a stone, marking the junction of four counties, near which a memorable battle was fought between the English and the Danes.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/MoretoninMarsh/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library