Newland

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NEWLAND, a parish in the hundred of ST-BRIAVELLS, county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the chapelries of Breem and Coleford, and the tythings of Clearwell, Lee-Bailey, and Newland, and containing 3383 inhabitants, of which number, 486 are in the tything of Newland, 4 miles (S.E. by S.) from Monmouth. The living is a discharged, vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £18. 6. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff.

The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large structure, with a handsome western tower ornamented with pinnacles and open-worked battlements: adjoining the churchyard is a free school, also an almshouse for four poor persons of each sex, both founded by Edward Bell, who, in 1651, endowed them with an annuity of £20: the annual income, with subsequent donations, has been raised to upwards of £180, of which £40 is paid for teaching fifteen children, the schoolmaster having also apartments in the school-house; £104 a year is received by the eight alms-people, 5s. per week being paid to each, and the residue expended in fuel and clothing for them, and in repairing the premises of both establishments.

There are also two charity schools, conducted on the National system. The navigable river Wye forms the western boundary of the parish, through which run several rapid rivulets, and the rail-road from Colford to Monmouth. Iron and coal mines abound, and limestone may be obtained, in the neighbourhood of Redbrook, where there is now a considerable manufactory for tin plates, was formerly the site of the earnest copper-smelting furnaces in England. The remains of High Meadow House, which was garrisoned by the troops of Charles I., when the parliament had possession of Gloucester, are still visible. There is a spring of water in Birchamp, which in purity is not inferior to St. Ann's well at Malvern.

LEA-BAILEY, a tything in the parish of NEWLAND, hundred of ST-BRIAVELLS, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (S.E.) from Ross, containing 93 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Newland/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library