North Nibley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NIBLEY (NORTH), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.W.) from Wotton under Edge, containing 1553 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, has lately received an addition of fifty free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £50 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. William Purnell, in 1763, bequeathed £300 to purchase an annuity for teaching five boys of the parish, also an estate for apprenticing the sons of parishioners, with each of whom a premium of about £20 is given, the total annual income being £57. 2. 6. There is a bequest of £4. 10. per annum by Matthew Tyndall, for teaching poor children to read.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/NorthNibley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library