Pauntley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

PAUNTLEY, a parish in the hundred of BOTLOE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E. by N.) from Newent, containing 280 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, arid in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has an enriched Norman door. The river Leddon runs through the parish. Here are springs, the water of which is similar in quality to the Cheltenham waters.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Pauntley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library