Quaker Meeting House, Almeley

Recent Photograph of Quaker Meeting House (Almeley)

This cottage at Almeley Wootton became a Quaker Meeting House in 1672, and is one of the earliest in the country. It was a gift from Roger Pritchard, who became acquainted with Quakers in Montgomeryshire in 1658. He became a Glover in Worcester after spending some years in Ireland, and purchased The Summer House a short distance down the road from this building for his residence. He converted this nearby cottage for the Friends' use and it has been in continuous service ever since.

Roger's son Edward was one of the 13 signatories of William Penn's charter of 1682 for Pennsylvania, along with 4 others from the Quaker community at Almeley.

For more information see the Almeley Wootton Friends Meeting House on Hereford & Mid-Wales Area Meeting website.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 7th October 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Almeley/MeetingHouse.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library