Inside Holy Trinity Church, Bosbury (SW)

Recent Photograph of Inside Holy Trinity Church (SW) (Bosbury)

The War Memorial board can be seen on this photograph low on the west wall of the Church. This is the oldest part of the Church, being an original wall of the Norman Church, which dates perhaps from the early 12th century. Side aisles and clerestory had been added by 1200, with the main work being arranged by Bishop William de Vere (1186-1200). The Bishops of Hereford had been Lords of the Manor here since Saxon times, and two of them died here - Athelstan in 1056, and Bishop Richard Swinfield in 1316.

A Memorial to Bishop Swinfield's father, was discovered in 1776, behind a pillar in the wall of the south aisle. Its Inscription recorded:

Hic Jacet Ste-
phanus quondam Pa-
ter venerabilis Pa-
tris Dni Ricardi
de SWINEFELD Dei
Gratia Epi Here-
fordensis Ad MCCLXXXII.

This translates as:

Here lies Stephen the late
Father of the Venerable Father,
Lord, Richard de Swinfield,
by the grace of God,
Bishop of Hereford
A.D. 1282.

The East Window commemorates Mrs Ellen HOPE (d.1880), and a plaque on the wall below records:

To the Glory of God
and in thankful and loving remembrance of
Mrs Ellen HOPE,
the munificent Donor of the Organ in this Church,
Widow of the Revd. F.W. Hope M.A. D.C.L.
This West Window is erected by the Parishioners,
Easter 1880.

Another plaque on the opposite side of the War Memorial Board reads:

Sacred to the Memory of
Catherine & Henry Scott HALL
married in this Church on May 16th 1871, & buried
Catherine Octr 8th 1910 & Henry Scott Decr 24th 1926,
in this Churchyard.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 18th October 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Bosbury/HolyTrinity3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library