St Mary's Church, Foy (SE View)

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (SE View) (Foy)

Prior to the Saxon invasion, this place was dedicated to Saint Moi, becoming ‘Lann Timoi’ q.v. Landscape Origins of the Wye Valley, later transmuting to ‘Foy’.

According to Pevsner, the south porch (shown here) is early 14th century. There is a Perpendicular East window which is a deliberate copy of that at Sellack, by a mason in the 1640s acting for John ABRAHALL, who in 1640 made a bequest in his Will for ‘a fayre windowe contayning three lights and there place the same after the same manner as such a windowe is placed in the church of Sellack’.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 3rd August 2006.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Foy/StMary.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library