Goodrich

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

GOODRICH, or GODERICH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 5 miles (S.W. by S.) from Ross, comprising the townships of Glewston, Goodrich, and Huntisham, and containing 711 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. Giles; for the repairing and beautifying of it there is a bequest by Mr. Gardner, producing £23 per annum. A bridge has been lately built across the Wye, at an expense of £8000, by which there is a free communication with the Forest of Dean.

Richard Talbot, lord of Goderich castle, founded and endowed, in 1347, a small priory of Black canons, in honour of St. John the Baptist, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £15. 8. 9. On a lofty and beautifully wooded hill are the majestic remains of the old castle of the Talbots, and near it there is another recently erected by Dr. Meyrick, in the ancient baronial style, forming prominent and interesting objects in the general beauty of the scene. Some years ago, two human skeletons were discovered in the vicinity, lying across each other. The Right Hon. Frederick John Robinson was elevated to the peerage by the title of Viscount Goderich, on-the 25th of April, 1827.

HUNTISHAM, a township in the parish of GOODRICH, lower division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD. The population is returned with the township of Goodrich.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Goodrich/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library