Hoarwithy

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

HOARWITHY is a populous hamlet, 1½ miles north [of Hentland]. The river Wye is here crossed to King's Caple by an iron bridge. The chapel of ease here is a building of stone in the Byzantine style, erected from the designs of Mr. J.P. Seddon, architect, of London, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, narthex or western porch, cloisters on the south side and a tower; the west windows are stained and the stalls are of carved oak. Here is also a Congregational chapel.

New Inn is 1 mile south.

Treaddow 1½ miles south, Altbough 2 miles north, Kynaston half-a-mile north, Treyseck 2 miles north, are townships.

Little Pengethly is a place half-a-mile south.

Llanfrother is also a place 1¼ miles north.

Bennet Joseph, Cleveland Cottage
Fry Francis G. Mount Pleasant
Thoroton Rev. Levett Edwd. W. (curate)

COMMERCIAL.
Bond Thomas, saddler
Gibbons Arthur, New Harp P.H
Mailes Andrew, butcher
Morris Thomas, blacksmith
Pope Fanny (Miss), Harp Temperance hotel
Powell Joseph E. farmer, Altbough
Preece James, miller (water)
Reading Room (Rev. P.W. Poole, sec)
Slade & Co. grocers & general dealers
Smyth Thomas, farmer, Treyseck
Williams Frederick, miller (water)
[Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Hoarwithy/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library