St Mary's Church, Kington

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (Kington)

St Mary's Church is set on a hill to the west of the town, on the fortified site of Kington Borough. It is reached from the Leominster direction by bearing right in the town centre along ‘Church Street’.

It is believed to date from Norman times; originally its tower was detached, reflecting its intended purpose as a place of refuge, but became joined to the church in more peaceful times when aisles were added in the 14th century. The attractive broach spire was built (or rebuilt) in 1794.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 4th October 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Kington/StMary.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library