Market Hall, Ledbury

Recent Photograph of Market Hall (Ledbury)

The Ledbury Market House was built in 1633, and is contructed with brick panels between timber framing. The front and right side feature a herringbone design in the timberwork, whilst the back, and left side (usually hidden from more general view) are of the more traditional rectangular pattern. The supporting posts - 16 in all - are of oak, and whilst genuinely ancient, they are sound and still do their job of supporting the whole.

Extensive repairs were carried out in the 1860s, and the building is still in active use today. Council meetings are still held in the upper story, and the space underneath is still occupied by market stalls.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 14th September 1999.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Ledbury/MarketHall.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library