St John the Evangelist's Church, Shobdon

Recent Photograph of St John the Evangelist's Church (Shobdon)

In the best traditions of 19th century directories, Shobdon church may be described as being on a “lofty eminence”. The present building is the 3rd to occupy the site. The first (Saxon) building was a chapel of ease to Aymestry, dedicated St Juliana, and the suggestion in the church leaflet is that it may have been made of wood, and surrounded by a motte and defensive timber pallisade.

The second church was built c1070-1160, believed to have been a typically Romanesque church, with a west tower, nave and chancel, and Norman archway between the two, and in the case of Shobdon, doorways on north and south sides. The present building was designed and constructed by the Honourable Richard Bateman for his nephew Sir John Bateman, and was consecrated in 1756.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 17th May 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Shobdon/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library