Llangattock Vibon Avel / Llangatwg Feibion Afel

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANGATTOCK-VIBON-AVEL is a parish and village on the old road from Abergavenny to Monmouth, 5 miles north-west from Monmouth, the nearest railway station, and 13 from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Skenfrith, union and county court district of Monmouth, Monmouth and Skenfrith highway district of the Monmouth District Council, rural deanery of Abergavenny (eastern division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. A feeder of the river Trothy flows through the parish. The church of St. Cadoc, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1875, at cost of £2,500, by Lord Llangattock, in memory of his father, is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle and western tower containing 6 bells, 3 of which are dated 1707, the remainder having been recast during the present century: the east and west windows (both Perpendicular insertions) are stained, and there are four others: the chancel retains sedilia and a credence formed in the sill of the south and north windows respectively; the reredos of alabaster and marble was given by Mary Octavia Rolls in 1875, in memory of her father, and there is also an alabaster screen; there are several brass and stone tablets dating from the early part of the 17th century, to the Evans family, formerly seated at Llangattock Manor, and two tablets of the present century to the Rolls family: there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1683.

The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Llanfaenor and the vicarage of St. Maughan annexed, tithe rent-charge (Llangattock) £209, average £162, joint gross yearly value £303, net £225, in the gift of Lord Llangattock, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Alexander Maclaverty M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. At Llanfaenor, 2 miles north-west, is an ancient chapel of ease, restored in 1859, and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 1 small bell: the east window is stained, and the flooring is of ornamental wood work: there are 50 sittings. Here are several stone quarries. Charities producing about £7 are distributed yearly. Near the post office is the stump of the once famous tree known as "The Glendower Oak," which has a girth of 27 feet: in the immediate vicinity is Croft Hir spring, commonly called "The Wishing Wells", where formerly seven different kinds of water were supposed to exist. The Hendre, a handsome mansion of brick and stone, in the Norman and Tudor styles, is the seat of Lord Llangattock D.L., J.P., F.S.A. One of the many avenues of Scotch firs planted to commemorate the union of Scotland with England leads from the road towards the church. The Duke of Beaufort K.G. who is lord of the manor, Lord Llangattock, James Graham esq. Colonel Evans and Henry Watkins Lewis esq. of Treherbert, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, old red sandstone and part clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, clover and some barley. The area is 4,313 acres; rateable value, £3,367; the population in 1891 was 475.

Post Office, The Hendre.- James Stephens, receiver. Letters through Monmouth arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Monmouth is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Newcastle (Novum Castrum), 1¼ miles north, is a hamlet, and derives its name from the fortress which anciently stood here, surrounded by a moat: very little, however, is known of its history; it belonged to the Huntleys in the reign of King Edward III.

Parish Clerk, John Phillips.

Post Office, Newcastle.- Mrs. Sarah Ann Weare, sub-postmistress. Letters from Monmouth arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. The nearest money order, savings bank & telegraph office is at Skenfrith

County Magistrates for Skenfrith Petty Sessional Division.- Llangattock Lord F.S.A., D.L. The Hendre, Monmouth, chairman
Mather-Jackson Sir Henry M. Bart. M.A., D.L. Llantillio court, Abergavenny
Bradney Col. Jsph. Alfd. B.A., D.L. Talycoed ct. Monmth
Graham Douglas William esq. Hilston park, Monmouth
Graham James esq. D L Hilston park, Monmouth
Jackson Robert Newton esq. Glen Monnow, Ross
Price Joseph Thomas esq. Tregate castle, Monmouth
Vaughan Reginald esq. Glen Trothy, Abergavenny
Walwyn Col. James Harford, Croft-y-Bwla, Monmouth
Clerk to the Magistrates, Trevor Addams Williams, Monmouth

Petty Sessions are held at Newcastle the last wednesday in the month at 11. The following parishes are included in the Petty Sessional Division:- Grosmont, Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, Llangua, Llantillio Crossenny, (Upper & Lower), Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern, St. Maughans, Skenfrith

National School, for the united parishes of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel & St. Maughans, is a handsome stone building, erected in 1877 by Lord Llangattock, for 100 children; average attendance, 72; William. David Lewis, master

Llangattock Lord D.L., J.P., F.S.A. (hon. col. 1st Mon. Artillery Volunteers), The Hendre & Llangattock manor; & South lodge, Rutland gate & Carlton & Arthur's clubs, London S W
Maclaverty Rev. Alexander M.A. (vicar), The Manor
Rolls The Hon. John Maclean J.P. The Hendre
Shaw Rev. Robt. Villiers Geo. (curate)

COMMERCIAL.
Adams William, farmer, Grange farm
Biggs James, farmer, Middle Hendre
Bowen David, farmer, Nant farm
Cowles Thos. frmr. Low. Hendre inn
Evans Thomas, farmer, Pencoed
Denston William James, farmer, New house, Newcastle
Griffiths Edwd. farmr. Newcastle frm
Horde Jn. blacksmith, Travellers' seat
Howells. Matthew, relieving officer, No. 1 district & registrar of births & deaths & vaccination officer for Trelleck sub-dist. Monmouth union
Jones George, blacksmith to Lord Llangattock, Hendre
Jones James, farmer, Letterovane
Jones William, farmer, Llancrever
Jones William, farmer, Far farm
Lipscombe Clement John, land agent to Lord Llangattock
Lloyd David, farmer, Grove farm
Lloyd William Hy. farmer, Penylan
Long Henry, carpenter & wheelwright, Travellers' seat
Long James, farmer, Llandister
Long Wm. farmer, Little Llanlewith
Morgan Hy. farmer, Gt. Llanlewith
Morgan Wm. farmer, Red House frm
Nicholas Jn. farmer, Lower Hendre
Price John, farmer, Great Crwys
Sibbons David, Wellington inn, farmer & wheelwright, Newcastle
Stephens Jas. grocer, Post off. Hendre
Vedmore Alice (Mrs.), beer retailer & grocer, Newcastle
Weare Sarah Ann (Mrs.), grocer & draper, & post office, Newcastle
Williams William, farmer & miller (water), Little Mill farm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/LlangattockVibonAvel/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library