Mitchel Troy / Llanfihangel Troddi

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

MITCHEL-TROY (i.e. Troy St. Michael) is a village and a parish bounded on the north by the river Trothy and on the east by the Wye, and on the road from Monmouth to Abergavenny, 2¼ miles south-west from Monmouth, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Raglan, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of Abergavenny (eastern division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The Great Western line from Monmouth to Pontypool runs through the parish and has a branch to Chepstow. The church of St. Michael, built in 1208 and restored in 1876 at a ccst of £1,610, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: there are seven stained windows: there are 200 sittings: in the churchyard is a stone cross of the 13th century: the carved stone figure of St. Michael, formerly on this cross, now stands on a bracket above the inner doorway of the porch: at the entrance to the churchyard is an old roofed arch. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1593; burials, 1590. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Cwmcarvan annexed, yearly tithe rent-charge £394, average £312; joint net annual value £300, with 80 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort K.G. and held since 1886 by the Rev. Henry Marriott Towson Bidwell.

Troy House, about a mile from Monmouth, is one of the seats of the Duke of Beaufort P.C., K.G. the lord-lieutenant of the county, who occasionally resides here, and, like the village, derives its name from its situation on the little river Trothy, near the mouth of which it is situate: the mansion, formerly the seat of the Herberts, possesses no architectural beauty, but has some fine apartments, adorned with family pictures, including a portrait of Lord Herbert of Cherbury when a boy: there is also a curious oak chimney-piece, carved with Scriptural subjects, brought here from Raglan Castle: in the reign of King Charles I. this mansion was in the possession of Sir Charles Somerset, brother of the gallant first Marquess of Worcester, who so bravely defended Raglan Castle for the king. Lydart House is the residence of Mrs. Oakley. The Duke of Beaufort K.G. who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Oakley, of Lydart House, the trustees of the late James Richards esq. and Henry W. Lewis esq. of Merthyr Tydvil are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, beans and roots. The area is 1,970 acres; rateable value, £2,140; the population in 1891 was 265.

Parish Clerk, Amos Johnson.

Post Office.- Amos Johnson, sub-postmaster. Letters from Monmouth arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Monmouth

National School, built about 1870, for 67 children; average attendance, 33; Miss Louisa Woller, mistress

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Beaufort His Grace the Duke of, K.G., P.C. (Lord Lieutenant), Troy house; Badminton, Wilts; & 9 Cleveland row & Carlton & Turf clubs, London SW
Bidwell Rev. Henry Marriott Tomson, Rectory
Hobbs Francis, The Elms
Lister Major Edward Longworth {land agent to the Duke), Troy ho
Oakley Mrs. Lydart house

COMMERCIAL.
Barling Fras. Bonnor, frmr. Lydart fm
Bartlett John Hall, builder & contractr. The Common
Davies John, farmer, Red house
Davies Thomas, farmer, The Common
Davies William, farmer, The Common
Davies William, farmer, Redwern
Evans John, farmer, The Wern
Gunter Maria (Mrs.), frmr.The Square
Hobbs Francis, sub-agent to the Duke of Beaufort
John John, wheelwright
Johnson Amos, blacksmith & shopkpr. Post office
Jones Thos. (Mrs.), farmer, The Graig
Moses John, mason
Musgrove John, farmer, Old. house & Highway farm
Parker Miss, farmer, Village farm
Roberts Phillip, farmer, Lower farm
Sherman William, farmer
Smith Aaron, farmer, Troy farm
Stead Philip, Monmouth inn
Stockham J. boot maker & rate collectr
Sumner Louis, boot & shoe maker
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/MitchelTroy/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library