Llandenny / Llanddenni

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANDENNY is a parish on the river Olway and on the road to Monmouth, with a station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 4 miles north-east from Usk, 153 by railway from London and 146 from London by road, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Raglan, union of Monmouth, Raglan and Trellech highway district, county court district of Usk, rural deanery of Usk (eastern division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: the church was restored in 1865, and has 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1714. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly income £25, net £15, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort K.G. and held since 1893 by the Rev. Cecil Henry Fardell. The great tithes have been commuted at £330, the whole of which goes to the impropriator, who is also patron. There is a Baptist chapel. Charities amounting to £64 are distributed yearly in bread and money. Cefn Tilla Court is the residence of the Right Hon. Lord Raglan D.L., J.P. When General Fairfax attacked Raglan Castle he made Cefn Tilla his head quarters: the old mansion was rebuilt and, together with the property belonging to it, was presented to Lord Raglan in grateful recognition of the memory of his grandfather, Field Marshal Lord Raglan, commander of the British army in the Crimea, where he died, 1855. The principal landowners are the Duke of Beaufort K.G. who is lord of the manor, Lord Raglan, J.A. Rolls esq. and G.G. Griffin esq. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,228 acres; rateable value, £3,080; the population in 1891 was 389.

Post Office.- John Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Usk at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Raglan is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Railway Station, Richard Bell, station master

National School (mixed), with a house for the mistress, for 50 children; average attendance, 37; Miss Emma Thompson, mistress

Raglan Lord D.L., J.P. Cefn Tilla court; & Guards, & Carlton clubs, London SW
Ball Richard
Evans Mrs. Hill cottage
Fardell Rev. Cecil Henry (vicar)
Herbert Mrs. Llanerthil
Morgan Thomas, The Lodge
Moxham Mrs
Stephens Mrs. The Elms

COMMERCIAL.
Andrews John, builder, Llanwecha
Davies John, carpenter, wheelwright, & post office
Davies Mary Arm (Mrs.), Crown P.H
Edwards William, miller (water) & farmer, Llanerthil mill
Etheridge William, frmr. The Wharfs
Evans Harriet (Miss), farmer, Rhydy-mone
Evans Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Treworgan court
Frost, Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Newhouse
Haggett William Purchase, Raglan Arms P.H. & farmer
James Robert & Wm. jun. farmers, Pentre farm
James Robt. assist. overseer, Pentre fm
Jones William, farmer, Cayo
Mason Henry, Victoria inn & shopkpr
Llewellyn David Walter, commercial traveller, The Mount
Morgan Thomas, shoe maker, Kingcoed
Moxham Michael, farmer, Rock frm
Phillips James & Mary & Ann(Misses), farmers, Llandenny court
Powell Edward, farmer, Colebrook (letters through Raglan)
Pritchard George & Thomas & Mary (Miss), farmers, Pergoed
Robins Stephen, shopkeeper, Kingcoed
Rowlands Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Kingcoed
Taylor Edward, farmer
Thomas William, blacksmith
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Llandenny/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library