Llanllowell / Llanllywel

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANLLOWELL is a parish on the old road from Usk to Newport, and on the river Olway near its junction with the Usk, 1½ miles south-east from Usk station on the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, upper division of Usk hundred, petty sessional division and county court district of Usk, union of Pontypool, Usk rural deanery (Western division), archdeaoonry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church is a very ancient structure, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: the porch is interesting, and there is a good Norman font: there are 70 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge £109, net income £130, with glebe, in the gift of H.S. Gustard esq. and held since 1889 by the Rev. George Micaiah Williams, of Queen's College, Oxford, who is also vicar of Llanbadoc. The principal seat is Glen Court, the residence of Mrs. Waddington. William Addams Williams esq. is lord of the manor. Miss Buckingham and Mrs. Waddington own most of the land in the parish. The soil is stiff loam; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 796 acres; rateable value, £776; the population in 1891 was 75.

Parish Clerk, John Parry

Leters through Newport via Llangibby, arrive at 10.30 a.m. Usk is the nearest money order & telegraph office

The nearest Wall Letter Box is at Llantrissent, cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only

The children of this parish attend the school at Llantrissent

Buckingham Miss, Tymawr
Williams Rev. George Micaiah, The Rectory
Waddington Mrs. Glen court
Evans Francis, farmer, Pentwyn
Fletcher George, farmer
Lewis Uriah, farmer, Lower house
Watkins William, farmer, Pencarreg
Williams Benj. farmer, Great house
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Llanllowell/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library