Llantrisant / Llantrisaint Fawr

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANTRISSENT is a parish on the river Usk and on the main road from Usk to Chepstow, and there is also a road to New Passage over Pen-y-caemawr hill; it is 3½ miles south-by-east from Usk station on the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, Upper division of Usk, hundred end union of Pontypool, petty sessional division and county court district of Usk, Pontypool and Usk highway district, rural deanery of Usk (western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of SS. Peter, Paul and John is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, have, south porch and a large embattled western tower, containing 2 bells: it was restored in 1883 at a cost of about £600, and has 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1743. The living is a vicarage, yearly tithe rent-charge £152, average £114, net income £104, with 30 acres average £114, net income £104, with 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of A. Alderson esq, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Watkins Jones, of St. Bees. Scyborwen is the residence of Lady Legge. Thomas Colborne esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are John Bateman esq. Mrs. Cartwright, Thomas Llewellin esq. William Henry Phillips Jenkins esq. Mrs. Rowlands and the trustees of Roger Lewis esq. and Simeon Scard esq. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are seeds and roots. The area is 2,713 acres; rateable value, £2,223; the population in 1891 was 204.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Roberts.

Letters arrive from Newport, via Llangibby, at 9 a.m.

Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only. Usk is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected in 1849, for 80 children; average attendance, 27; Mrs. Harris, mistress

Evans Evan William, Wernddu
Jones Rev. William Watkins, Vicarage
Legge Lady, Scyborwen

Collins John, farmer, Killuddo
Evans Edward, frmr. Nant-y-banno
Evans Evan Wm. farmer, Wernddu
Hammbry Sidney, farmer, Pen-y-wwrlod
Hawker Alfred, farmer, Allt farm
Hayward Frederick, farmer, & Royal Oak P.H
Hunt Ann(Mrs.), frmr. Penuchyplwydd
Jenkins Mtlda. (Mrs.), frmr. Home frm
Miles John, farmer, Church farm
Moore Henry, miller (water), farmer, Lloyna mill
Morgan Charles, farmer, Ty Mawr
Morgan Henry, farmer, Newhouse
Pitt James, farmer, Cwm farm
Powell Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Arch frm
Rogers William, blacksmith
Thomas Job, Greyhound P.H. & farmer
Thomas William, farmer, Whitehall
Williams Edward, farmer
Williams William, farmer, The Tump
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Llantrisaint/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library