Tredunnock / Tredynog

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

TREDUNNOCK is a parish to the east of the Newport and Usk high road, halfway between Caerleon and Usk, and on the west bank of the river Usk, which is here crossed by a bridge of three arches, known. as "New Bridge"; it is 4½ miles south from Usk station and 4½ miles north-east from Caerleon station, both oh the Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 7½ north-east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, Usk hundred, petty sessional division of Caerleon, union of Newport, county court district of Usk, rura1 deanery of Usk (western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: on the north wall is a memorial to Julias Julianus, a soldier of the second legion: a new vestry has been added given by the late Josiah Richards: there are 90 sittings.

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1695; marriages and burials, 1711. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge, £190, average £144, net income £148, with 47 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of John Capel Hanbury esq. and held since 1866 by the Ray. Charles Thelwall Salusbury M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. John Capel Hanbury esq. is lord of the manor; the principal landowner is Mrs. Doyle. The soil is light; subsoil, stony. The land is about equally divided between corn and some pasture land. The area is 1,288 acres; rateable value, £1,553; the population in 1891 was 168.

Letters through Newport arrive at 8.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Usk & Caerleon; nearest post office at Llangibby

The children of this parish go to the school at Llangibby

Firbank Edward J. Croes Onan
Salusbury Rev. Charles Thelwall M.A. Rectory

COMMERCIAL.
Bevan Levi, market gardener
Evans Evan, farmer
Evans John, farmer, Coed-y-fon
Evans Thos. Rees, farmer, Great ho
Howell Emma (Miss), Newbridge hotel; good accommodation for cyclists & tourists
Hunt Henry, farmer, Cross Llwarch
Llewellin John, farmer, Garn-Vach
Morgan Jervis, farmer, Cefn Henlla
Parry Thomas, shopkeeper
Pullen Wm. Baker, farmer, Ton farm
Williams Adam, farmer, Garn farm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Tredunnock/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library