Usk / Brynbuga

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

USK is a market town and ancient borough, and head of a petty sessional division, parish and station on the Great Western railway, 157 miles north-west from London, 11 north-east from Newport, 13 south-west from Monmouth and 7 north-east from Pontypool, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Usk, union of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk (western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The town is seated on the banks of the river Usk, over which is a stone bridge of four arches, and is a place of remote antiquity, conjectured by some antiquaries to have been the "Burrium" of the Romans: the name Usk is derived from the Gaelic "Uisge", which signifies water: here are the remains of an ancient castle, standing on an eminence overlooking the town: this place was of great importance during the wars between the Welsh and the Anglo-Normans, and at a 1ater period in the time of the celebrated Owen Glendower: in the civil commotions between Charles I. and the Parliamentarians the castle was repeatedly assaulted, and, together with the town, partly demolished: the present remains of the castle are of considerable extent, and partially covered with ivy.

The town was incorporated by charters granted by Edmund de Mortimer, Earl of March and Ulster, Edward II. Edward IV. and succeeding monarchs.

The corporation consisted of a portreeve, recorder, two bailiffs, burgesses and four constables, but was abolished by the "Municipal Corporations Act, 1883" (46 and 47 Vict. Ch. 18).

Usk, in connection with the corporate towns of Newport and Monmouth, forms the Monmouth Parliamentary district, returning one member to Parliament. The town adopted the Local Government Act, 1858 (21 and 22 Vict. c. 98), December 3, 1872, and was governed by a Local Board, until the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), established the present Urban District Council. The town is paved, and lighted with gas by a company, formed in 1851, and supplied with water from works at Pandy, the property of the Usk Water Works Co.

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, with portions of Norman, Late Decorated and Perpendicular work: the building is of Anglo-Norman origin and was originally cruciform: the two arms of the cross or transepts have been destroyed, also the apse; it was formerly the church of a house of Benedictine nuns, founded here before 1174, by Sir A. de Clare; it now consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, two porches and a very large and handsome central embattled tower, with turret, and containing 7 bells; the nave, north aisle and tower formed part of the ancient conventual church, and the gateway of the nunnery also remains: the tower was restored in 1870, and in 1875 covered with slate instead of stone tile: in the church are several brasses, with inscriptions; a brass was Placed, 1890, in memory of Col. Roden, murdered in Corsica: there is also a monument, erected in 1822, to commemorate the benevolence of Mr. Roger Edwards, who, in the year 1621, founded the Free Grammar School here: there is a good choir screen and three memorial windows; there are 800 sittings, 300 being free: the churchyard contains many monuments, including several to the old family of Nicholl of Ham, designed by the late Sir Digby Wyatt R.A. to whom one has been erected in this churchyard by his brother: the churchyard is surrounded by trees and shrubs. The registers, including those of Gwehellog and Glascoed, date from 1742. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £285, average £226, net income £150, with 1 acre of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Addams-Williams, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Percy Louis Charles Nash B.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham University, who is also vicar of Monkswood, and surrogate. On the southeast of the church stands the Priory, which was rebuilt some years since, and the existing remains preserved as far as practicable.

The Catholic chapel, Porth-y-Carne street, dedicated to St. Francis Xavier, was erected in 1847; it is in the Gothic style, and was erected from designs furnished by the late Mr. Hansom; at the back of the chapel is a small burial-ground; the chapel has 120 sittings: the Rev. Thomas Croft is the priest.

The Baptist chapel, Old Market street, having sittings for 300 persons, was erected in 1842. The Congregational chapel, Twyn, erected in 1862, at a cost of £1,200, is a stone building in the Gothic style, with a turret for one bell and has sittings for 400 persons. The Wesleyan chapel, Maryport street, erected in the year 1817, has sittings for 350 persons.

The Court House, adjoining the prison, in which the Quarter Sessions are now held and county business transacted, is a large and handsome edifice of stone, which was completed and opened on the 16th of October, 1877, at a cost exceeding £15,000.

The Town Hall, in which Quarter Sessions until the last few years were held, is now leased by the Duke of Beaufort, lord of the manor, to the portreeve and burgesses of the borough, and is used for public meetings and entertainments.

Her Majesty's prison, in Maryport street, is a large building of stone, arranged to hold about 200 prisoners on the separate system: there is a residence for the governor and the matron within the walls: the Rev. William Jones, of St. David's College, Lampeter, is chaplain.

There are two banks, a branch of the London and Provincial Bank Limited and the Capital and Counties Bank Limited. The market is held on Friday and a cattle market the first and third Monday in every month. Fairs are held on 10th April, wool fair on Friday before June 20th, 29th October, and Christmas fair on the 16th December. Wood turning and chair making is carried on. There is a Working Men's Conservative Club with about 90 members. The G Co. 4th Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers, have head quarters in the town. At Llangeview, about 3 miles from Usk, are almshouses, founded by Roger Edwards, for 12 poor persons, each of whom receives £16 yearly; attached to the building is a chapel, with a chaplain appointed by the trustees: the chaplaincy has been held since 1890 by the Rev. John Jones M.A. vicar of Llangwm: a surgeon also is provided and paid by the trust, the present medical attendant being Peter Campbell esq.: the almshouses were re-built on their old site in 1826. The Duke of Beaufort, P.C., K.G. is lord of the manor and holds courts leet and baron once a year. The principal landowners are the Duke of Beaufort, the Rev. Sir J. Henry Fludyer bart. M.A. rector of Ayston, Rutland, George, Whitlock Nicholl esq. Major Edward Longworth Lister and Col. Francis McDonnell. The area of the whole parish is 4,956 acres; rateable value, £5,779; the population of the parish in 1891 was 1,417, which includes 73 in H.M. Prison; the population of the parliamentary borough was 1,447. The soil is silurian, and the subsoil, sand and gravel.

Parish Clerk, Philip Gunter.

GLASCOED is a hamlet, in the parish of Usk, 3¾ miles west from the town of Usk: the chapel of ease here is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, with 110 sittings, and a burial ground attached: divine service is conducted in the chapel once on Sundays, by the vicar of Usk or his curate: there is also a Baptist chapel: rateable value, £1,373; population in 1891 was 224.

Letters from Pontypool arrive at 9.30 a.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 9.30 a.m. on week days only

A School Board of 7 members was formed 27 May, 1879, for the united district of Llanbadoc, Glascoed & Monkswood; Evelyn Waddington, clerk to the board; Henry Williams, Bryn farm, Glascoed, school attendance officer

Board School, built in 1882, at a cost of £600, for 80 children; average attendance, 53; William Webb, master; Miss Amy Webb, sewing mistress

GWEHELLOG is also a hamlet, in the parish of Usk, occupying the north-eastern part of the parish, and closely adjoining the town of Usk, containing 315 inhabitants in 1891; rateable value, £2,615. An evening service is held in the schoolroom on Sunday at 6 o'clock by the vicar or a lay member of his church. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.

Letters arrive from Usk at 8.30 a.m. Wall Letter Boxes cleared at 6 p.m. & at Lancayo at 5.10 p.m. week days only

National School, built in 1872, for 60 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Edith Matthews, mistress

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Mary Frances Edwards, postmistress, Bridge street Mails dispatched to London & all parts at 9.40 a.m. & 1, 5.15 & 7.50 p.m.; mails arrive from London & all parts at 5.27 a.m. & at 2.40 p.m.; delivery commences at 7 a.m. Money order office & savings bank open daily from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. sundays excepted. Post office closes at 8 p.m

Magistrates for the Usk Petty Sessional Division.
McDonnell Col. Fras. D.L. Plas Newydd, Usk, chairman
Raglan Lord, Cefntilla court, Usk
Dunn Major-Gen. Josias, Twyn-Bell, Llanfbedoc, Usk
Evans Arthur esq. Llangibby castle, Newport
Humphreys Humphrey esq. Riverside house, New Market street, Usk
Lawrence George, 16 Suffolk square, Cheltenham
Lister Major Edward Longworth D.L. Cefn Ila, Usk
Rickards Robert esq. The Priory, Usk
Williams Philip Alfred esq. Helmaen, Llanbadoc, Usk
Clerk to the Magistrates, Evelyn Waddington, Bridge st

Petty Sessions are held every other thursday at the sessions house at 11 o'clock

The following places are included in the petty sessional division:-
Bettws Newydd, Gwehellog, Gwernsney, Kemeys Commander, Llanbadoc, Llangeview, Llangibby, Llangwm-Isaf, Llangwm-Ucha, Llanllowell, Llansoy, Llantrissent, Monkswood, Trostrey & Usk

Urban Distrid Council.
Offices, Town Hall.
Council meeting on 1st thurs. in each month, at 7.30 p.m
Clerk, Arthur Francis Lucas, Four Ash cottage
Treasurer, Thomas James Grigson, London & Provincia1 Bank Limited
Medical Officer of Health, Peter Campbell L.R.C.P. & S. Edin. Ty-Cornel, Usk
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector of Nuisances & Collector, Thomas Rees, jun. New Market street

Rural District Council.
Meet at the Court house on the first fri. in each month
Clerk, Thomas Watkins, Club chambers, Pontypool
Treasurer, William Collins, Lloyds Bank Lim. Pontypool
Medical Officer of Health, Peter Campbell L.R.C.P. & S. Edin. Usk
Sanitary Inspector, R. Derret, Nicholas st. Pontypool

Public Establishments.
County Court (sits at the Session house every other month), His Honor William Stephenson, Owen, judge; A. E. Bowen, registrar; William Graham, high bailiff; Alfred Griffiths, sub-bailiff; Thomas Jones, Clerk; offices, Bridge street; the district comprises the, following places within its jurisdiction:- Bettws Newydd, Bryngwyn, Clytha, Glascoed, Goytrey, Gwehellog, Gwernesney, Kemeys Commander, Kemeys Inferior, Llanbaddoch, Llandegoeth, Llandenny, Llangeview, Llangibby, Llangwm-Ucha, Llangwm-Isaf, Llanhennock, Llanishen Llanllowell, Llansoy, Llantrissent, Llanvileangel-tor-y-Mynydd, Monkswood Chapel, New Church West, Raglan, Tredunnock, Trostrey, Usk, Wolves Newton.

For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Newport - George Henry Llewellyn, Gloucester Bank chambers, Skinner st. Newport, official receiver

Certified Bailiffs appointed under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act", Alfred Griffiths, Woodbine, Black-barn & William Mayberry, King's Head hotel, Old Market street

Clerk of the Peace Office, Bridge street

County Police Station, New Market street, Edward Bowen, sergeant, & 2 constables

Her Majesty's Prison, Maryport street, Rev. William Jones, chaplain; Donald Fludyer Boulton, surgeon; J. Oomrie, chief warder is charge; Miss Thomas mtrn

Inland Revenue Office, Three Salmons hotel, Bridge st

Sessions House, Maryport st. Miss Agnes Davies, hall kpr

Stamp Office, Bridge street, Mrs. Mary Frances Edwards, distributor

Town Hall, New Market st. Miss Agnes Davies, hall kpr

Volunteers.
4th Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers (G Company). headquarters, New Market street; Capt. W.G.R. Marsh, commanding; Peter Campbell, lieut.; sergeant-instructor, Joseph Chilton

Public Officers.
Assistant Overseer, Oliver Jenkins, Mill street

Certifying Factory Surgeon, Peter Campbell L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. Ty-Cornel

Clerk of the Peace & to the County Council, Henry Stafford Gustard, Newport

Clerk to the Monmouthshire Commission of Sewers, Walter Stafford Gustard, Bridge street

Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Usk district, Pontypool Union, Peter Campbell L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. Ty-Cornel

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Usk Sub-District, Pontypool Union, Lawrence Stephen Davies, New Market street

Deputy Registrar of Births & Deaths, John Henry Salter, Maryport street

Relieving & Vaccrination Officer, Usk District, Lawrence Stephen Davies, New Market street

Steward of the Manor of Llanvihangel-nigh-Usk, John Maitland Watkins, Porth-y-carne street

Steward of the Manor of Usk, Walter Stafford Gustard, Bridge street

Superintendent Registrar, Thomas Watkins, Club chambers, Pontypool

Places of Worship, with times of services.
St. Mary's Church, Rev. Percy Louis Charles Nash B.A. vicar; Rev. William Edwards Parry B.A. curate; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.; & saints, days & festivals, 8.30 a.m. & 7 p.m

St. Francis Xavier (Catholic), Porth-y-carne street, Rev. Thomas Croft, priest; mass, 11 a.m.; vespers & benediction, 6 p.m.; daily mass, 8.30 a.m

Baptist, Old Market street, Rev. Francis Johnson; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m

Baptist, Glascoed (various); 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m

Congregational, Twyn, Rev. Denias Daw; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m

Wesleyan, Maryport street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; & every alternate thurs. at 7.30 p.m

Wesleyan, Gwehelog; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m

Schools.
Grammar, Maryport street, founded by Mr. Roger Edwards in 1624 is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners framed in 1878, replacing a previous scheme, 1863; formerly an elementary commercial school was supported out of the trust funds, but in lieu of this an annual grant is now made of a certain proportion of the funds, fixed by the scheme; the school buildings were rebuilt in 1847 & enlarged in 1864; the governors are nine in number, four to serve five years, chosen by the local board, and five for seven years by the other branch of the same charity; James Henry Priestley B.A. head master

National, Maryport street, erected in 1869, for 200 children; average attendance, 150; John Rolt Nixon, master

National (infants), Maryport street, erected in 1876, for 150 children; average attendance, 70; Miss Charlotte Lodge, mistress

Newspaper.- The County Observer & Monmouthshire Advertiser, published saturday; The County Observer Newspaper & Printing Co. Limited, proprietors

Railway Station,
[blank - sic]

USK.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Addis Henry Arthur, Fernleigh house, Mill street
Barnard Gen. Sir Charles K.C.B., J.P. Castle house
Boulton Donald Fludyer, New Mrkt. st
Bowen Alfred Edward, Castle vale
Campbell Peter, Ty Cornel
Cooke Miss, Maryport street
Crichton Mrs. Victoria villa
Croft Rev, Thomas (Catholic), Porthy-carne street
Davies Joseph, Bridge street
Davies Mrs. Oliver, Porth-y-carne st
Daw Rev. Denias (Cong.), Maryprt. st
Edwards John Jas. New Market sq
Edwards Miss, New Market street
Eleanor Deaconess, Rhiw-Castell
Evans Misses, Ivy cot. New Mrkt. st
Freeman Henry, Plas Newydd
Gould John, Pontsandpit house
Gustard Hy. Stafford, Porthycarne ho
Gustard Walter Stafford, Maryprt. st
Harris Fenton George, Twyn square
Hiley Sidney Arthur, The Laurels, Porth-y-Carne street
Hobbs William, Bridge street
Horsfield Walter, Westeria cottage, New Market street
Humphreys Humphrey J.P. Riverside house, New Market street
Jameson Thomas, Castle street
Johnson Rev. Francis (Baptist), Old Market, street
Jones Mrs. Maryport street
Lamotte Francis Lagier M.A. The Lawn, New Market street
Lawrance Mrs. Ty-Brith

McDonnell Col. Francis D.L., J.P. Plas Newydd
Masters William, Croft
Messer Mrs. Vine cottage, Four Ash st
Miller Mrs. Old Market street
Morgan Miss, Twyn square
Nash Rev. Percy Louis Charles B.A. (vicar & surrogate), Vicarage, The Twyn
Nicholas James, Four Ash street
Parker James, Maryport street
Parker Mrs. Priory street
Parry Rev. Wm. Edwards B.A. (curate)
Parry Edwin, Mill street
Phillips Mrs. William, Bridge street
Price George, Bridge street
Priestley James Henry B.A. (head master of Grmmr. Schl.), Marypt. st
Rees Thomas, jun. New Market st
Rickards Robert J.P. The Priory
Roberts John, New Market street
Roberts Miss, The Rosary, New Market street
Salter Jn. Henry, Maryport street
Sheppard Miss, Castle cot. The Twyn
Stockham Beeston, Maryport street
Stockholm William, Maryport street
Stone Enoch, Castle parade
Voyce Chas. The Rosary, New Mrkt. st
Waddington Evelyn, The Willows, Baron street
Wallis Miss, Worcester cot. Castle par
Watkins John Maitland, Castle parade

COMMERCIAL.
Addis Hy. Arthur, sec. to the Usk Gas Co. Lim. Bridge st
Aish Frank, insurance agent, Twyn square
Ault John, chemist & wine & spirit agent, Bridge street
Baynham John Morley, surveyor & accountnt. Church st
Bowen Richard, builder & contractor of heating apparatus, Old market street
Boulton Donald Fludyer, surgeon, & surgeon H.M. prison, New Market street
Bunning William, ironmonger, Bridge street
Burns Emma (Mrs.), Red Lion P.H. Church street
Cale John George, butcher, Twyn square
Campbell Peter L.R.C.P. & S. Edin. physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health to Usk urban urban district council & to Pontypool rural district council & medical officer & public vaccinator Usk district, Pontypool Union & certified factory surgeon, Ty-Cornel
Capital & Counties Bank Limited (branch) (Fenton George Harris, manager), Twyn square; draw on head office, Threadneedle street, London E.G
Cavey Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Bridge street
Charles John, tailor, Bridge street
Chilton Joseph, sergeant-instructor to the (G Co.) 4th Volunteer Bat. South Wales Borderers, New Market st
Cherry John Tempest, manager of the Usk Gas Co. Limited, Four Ash street
Clark Jas. Hy. printer, bookseller, & stationer, Bridge st
Comrie J. chief warder in charge of H.M. prison, Maryport st
County Court (Alfred Edward Bowen, registrar); office, Bridge street
County Observer Newspaper & Printing Co. Limited (John Henry Salter, sec.), printers & publishers (published saturday), Bridge street
Davies James, painter & plumber, Bridge street
Davies Joseph, manager of London & Provincial Bank, Bridge street
Davies Lawrence Stephen, relieving collector & registrar of births & deaths, Usk sub-district, New Market street
Davies William, builder, wheelwright & timber merchant, Steam saw mills, Woodbine place
Davies William, cooper, Bridge street
Day Thomas, coal merchant, Mill street
Doubleday Charles Nelson, fishmonger, Bridge street
Dunning Henry, photographer, Bridge street
Edmunds George, butcher & beer retailer, Bridge street
Edwards John James, grocer, Old Market street
Edwards Mary Frances (Mrs.), statnr. & post off. Bridge st
Evans Geo. chief warder H.M. prison, Old Market street
French George, warder H.M. prison, Old Market street
Fordham Thomas, baker, Old Market street

Gilbert Arthur Henry, blacksmith, Twyn square
Gilbert Thomas, Nag's Head P.H. Twyn square
Grady Sarah (Mrs.), Greyhound P.H. Four Ash street
Grammar School (James Henry Priestley B.A. head master), Maryport street
Griffiths Alfred, sub-bailiff to county court, Woodbine
Gustard & Waddington, solicitors, Bridge street
Gustard Walter Stafford (firm, Gustard & Waddington), solicitor, & steward of the Manor of Usk & clerk to the commissioners of sewers, Bridge street
Haggett John, butcher & beer retailer, Bridge street
Harris Fenton George, manager of the Capital & Counties Bank Lim. & agent for the Edinburgh Fire & Life Assurance Co. & estate agent & surveyor, Twyn. square
Hayes Ernest Boulton, tailor, Bridge street
Herbert Richard, grocer & wine & spirit merchant, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim wine & spirit mers. Twyn sq
Hennessey John, saddler, Bridge street
H.M. Prison (Rev. William Jones, chaplain; Donald Fludyer Boulton, surgeon; J. Comrie, warder-in-charge; Miss Thomas, matron), Maryport street
Highley Sarah (Mrs.), Royal hotel, New Market street
Hobbs William & Annie (Miss), grocers, Bridge street
Inland Revenue Office, Three Salmons hotel, Bridge st
Jenkins George Harrison, L.R.C.P. surgeon, & medical officer Druids Friendly Society, New Market street
Jenkins Oliver, farmer & assistant overseer, Mill street
Jennings Frank, G.W.R. agent, Castle street
Jennings Wm. warder of H.M. prison, Old Market street
Jones Alexander John, joiner & undertaker, Twyn square
Jones Edward, grocer, draper & wine & spirit merchant, & agent for the Phoenix & Railway Passengers' Insurance Companies, Bridge street; & at Raglan
Jones James, cabinet maker, Bridge street
Jones Thomas, clerk to the county court, Bridge street
Jones William, boot & shoe maker, Maryport street
Jones William, mason, Castle street

Lewis Alfred Wheatcroft, chemist, Bridge street
Lewis Henry, wood-hoop & timber merchant, Lower mill, Maryport street
Lewis Philip, Cardiff Arms P.H. Bridge street
London & Provincial Bank Lim. (branch) (Joseph Davies, manager), Bridge street; draw on head office, Bank buildings, & Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. 67 Lombard street, London E C
Lucas Arthur Francis, clerk to the Urban District Council, Four Ash street
Lucas Leslie Richard, builder, Maryport street
Lucas Richard, plasterer, New Market street
Marfell & Poole, auctioneers & valuers
Mayberry Wm. King's Head htl. & auctnr. Old Market st
Mead William, carpenter, New cottages, Black barn
Merrett Florence & Elizabeth (Misses), boarding school, Maryport street
Merrett John, jobbing gardener, Old Market street
Morgan Edward, haulier, Four Ash street
Morgan Sarah (Mrs.), draper & milliner, Bridge street
Morgan Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New Market street
Morgan Mary Ann (Mrs.), Castle hotel, Twyn square
Morgan Reuben, boot & shoe maker, Bridge street
Morgan Richard, shoe maker, Four Ash street
Morgan Thomas, timber haulier, Maryport street
Morgan William, shoe maker, Maryport street
Mortimer Charles Allen, sec. to the Discharged Prisoners' Aid Society, Brook cottage
Mundy George, coal dealer, Maryport street
Nicholas John Oliver, beer retailer & painter, Maryport st
Nicholls & Co. boot & shoe makers, Castle parade
Norris William, Six Bells P.H. Four Ash street
Parker Caroline (Mrs.), lodging house, Twyn
Parry Thomas Jenkins, White Lion P.H. New Market st
Pitt Ann (Mrs.), butcher & beer retailer, Old Market st
Pitt John, butcher, Bridge street
Poulson James, general dealer, Bridge street
Probert Richd. & Tom, blacksmiths, Four Ash st & Castle st

Rapson Fred, chimney sweeper, Four Ash street
Rees Margaret (Mrs.), china & glass dealer, Old Market st
Rees Thomas, jun. sanitary inspector, collector & surveyor to the Urban District Council, & sec. to Usk Water Works Co. New Market street
Reid William, Three Salmons family & commercial hotel & posting house (inland revenue office); every accommodation for commercials & anglers; close to station & river Usk; noted for salmon & trout fishing; horses & traps let on hire; Bridge street
Rivers Arthur, wine & spirit merchant, Bridge street
Roberts Maria (Mrs.) & Elizh. (Miss), grocrs. Maryport st
Rogers Richard Arthur, builder, Castle par. & Bridge st
Salter John Henry, deputy registrar of births & deaths, Maryport street
Salton William, watch & fishing tackle maker, Bridge at Savery Thomas, shopkeeper, Bridge street
Selby George, shoe maker, Castle parade
Sherrett Alexander, cow keeper, New Market street Silvester Allen, Cross Keys P.H. Bridge street
Smith George, shoe maker, Bridge street
Smith James, carpenter, New Market street
Smith Sidney H., M.R.C.V.S. vet. surg. New Bridge st
Smith Thomas Jones, draper & outfitter, & agent for Mortimer's dyeing works, Bridge street
Stibbs Frederick, confectioner, Old Market street
Stockham Henry, boot & shoe maker, Twyn square
Stockham Sarah (Mrs.), glass & china dlr. Old Market st
Sweet Walter John, painter, Bridge street
Symonds James, watchmaker, Four Ash street
Thomas Edgar, butcher & beer retailer, New Market st
Thomas Franklyn (Mrs.), seed dlr. & confectioner, Bridge st
Thomas William, plasterer, Twyn square
Thomas William, tailor, Bridge street
Tirrell Thomas, shopkeeper, Bridge street
Town Hall (Miss Agnes Davies, hall keeper), New Market st
Trehearn James, general dealer, Bridge street

Usk Farmers' Club (John Henry Salter, hon. sec.; Wm. Marcell, hon. treas.); committee rooms, Three Salmons hotel
Usk Gas Co. Lim. (Hy. Arthur Addis, sec.; Joseph Davies, treas.; Jn. Tempest Cherry, man.), Four Ash st
Volunteer Battalion (4th) South Wales Borderers (G Co. Capt. R.W. Marsh, commanding; Peter Campbell, lieut.; Sergt. Joseph Chelton, drill instructor), head quarters, New Market street
Waddington Evelyn (firm, Gustard & Waddington), solicitor & clerk to the magistrates, Bridge street
Walker William, beer retailer, New Market street
Walters George, hair dresser, Bridge street
Waters Edward Walter, Golden Lion P.H. Bridge street
Watkins Eleanor & Isabella (Misses), ladies' boarding school, Bridge street
Watkins John Maitland, solicitor & steward of the manor of Llanvihangel-nigh-Usk, Porth-y-carne street
West Albert, jobbing gardener, Baron street
Wheeler Amos, chairmaker, New Market street
Wheeler Clara (Mrs.), dress maker, New Market street
Wheeler Ephraim, chair maker, New Market street
Wheeler James, chair maker, New Market street
Whitton Joseph, painter, Old Market street
Whitwell William Henry, draper, Bridge street
Williams Eliza & Margaret (Misses), confectioners & dress makers, Maryport street
Williams Fanny Elizh.(Mrs.), New Court hotel, Maryport st
Williams George, insurance agent, Castle parade
Williams Mary (Mrs.), laundress, Four Ash street
Williams Thomas, water bailiff, New Market street
Williams William, blacksmith, Maryport street
Wilson George, warder of H.M. prison, Maryport street
Working Men's Conservative Club (Fenton Geo. Harris, sec.), Porth-y-carne street
Workman William, coal dealer, Maryport street

GLASCOED.

COMMERCIAL.
Bryan James, farmer
Cowles William, farmer, Lit. Trostrey
Edward James, farmer, Cherry Orchrd
Griffiths Jn. farmer, New House farm
Gwatkin Richard, farmer, LIanyanant
Gwatkin William, farmer, Maes Mawr
Jacob Theophilus, farmer
Jones Thos. farmer, Low Wernhir
Lewis John, farmer
Morgan Edward, farmer, Holly bush
Morgan Henry, farmer, The Ton
Parry Thomas, farmer, Glascoed vach
Parker Edgar, farmer, Trostrey farm
Powell Edward, farmer, Hill farm
Rosser John, farmer, Pettingale farm
Williams Edward, lime burner
Williams Henry, farmer & assistant overseer & school attendance officer, Bryn farm
Williams Jas. farmer, Tycoch farm
Williams Philip, farmer, Beech farm
Williams Thomas, High Cross P.H
Williams William, farmer, Cross farm
Williams William, farmer, Up. Cwmare
Williams William, farmer, Upper ho

GWEHELLOG.

Browne Major P. Clifford, Glenhailog
Morgan Evan Philip, Lancayo

COMMERCIAL.
Cale John, farmer, Coed-y-Brain
Cowles Johu, farmer, New Barn
Davies Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Evans Annie (Mrs.), frmr. Panty Colin
Evans Naomi (Mrs.), farmer, Ty-Freeman
George Thomas, farmer
Hoskins George, farmer, Green court
Jenkins Henry, farmer, Pentwyn farm
Jones John, farmer, Beech farm
Parry Edgar, farmer, Little Lancayo
Powell Frederick George, farmer, Little Castle farm
Powell Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright, Lancayo
Powell George, farmer, Oak farm
Price Edward, Hall inn P.H
Pritchard Herbert, farmer
Thomas Arthur, blacksmith
Thomas William Morgan, farmer, Lancayo house
Williams Henry, farmer, Cwria Cayo Williams Thomas, farmer
Williams William, market gardener
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Usk/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library