Llangwm / Llangwm Uchaf

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANGWM UCHA and ISA, or UPPER and LOWER LLANGWM, are jointly one parish, near the road from Usk to Chepstow and about 2 miles south of the road from Usk to Monmouth, 4 miles east from Usk station on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 9 north-west from Chepstow and 15 north-east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Usk, Chepstow union, Usk county court district, rural deanery of Usk (western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The old church of St. Jerome, Llangwm Ucha, erected in the 13th century, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch, and a large square tower on the north side of the chancel, containing 3 bells; it was thoroughly restored in 1870, from designs by the late Mr. J. P. Seddon and the late Mr. Ewan Christian, architects, of London, at a cost of about £1,500, including the rood-screen, considered one of the finest in this part of the kingdom; there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1663.

The parish church of St. John, Llangwm Isa, is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a central turret containing one bell; it was rebuilt in 1850, and services are held in it alternately with the church at Llangwm Ucha; there are 70 sittings, all free. The living is a joint vicarage, tithe rent-charge £187, average £141, net yearly value £189, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese, and held since 1890 by the Rev. John Jones M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who is also chaplain of the almshouses at Llangeview. Here is a Baptist chapel. Trevella, now occupied as a farm house, was a mansion of some antiquity, and still presents several indications of its former condition. The Duke of Beaufort P.C., K.G. who is lord of the manor, the trustees of the late Roger Edwards esq. George Lawrence esq. Mrs. Tudor, of Wyesham, near Monmouth, and C.W. Whalley esq. of Chepstow, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat. The area of the parish of Llangwm Ucha is 2,441 acres; rateable value £1,719; the population in 1891 was 226; the area of the parish of Llangwm Isa is 62o acres; rateable value £535; the population in 1891 was 37.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Benjamin Jones.

Post Office.- Mrs. Hannah Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Usk, which is also the nearest money order & telegraph office, at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m

Church of England School, opened in 1871, for 60 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Wallace, mistress

LLANGWM UCHA.
COMMERCIAL.
Bigham Robert, blacksmith
Carter Valentine, farmer, Redwein
Cox Henry, farmer, New house
Davies John, farmer, Tycoch
Davies Richard, farmer, Tywilson
Hodges Hubert, farmer, Tyvree
Holder John, farmer, Goitre farm
Hughes Matilda (Mrs.), farmer
James John, farmer, Berthcretig
Jones Joseph Benjamin, wheelwright
Jones Jane (Miss) & Young Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmers, Trevalla farm
Jones Melton, Bridge inn P.H
Lucas George, farmer, Baelea farm
Morgan John, farmer, Pwllth
Northover Elizh. (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Perrot James, farmer
Phillips Wm. farmer, Nant-y-mark
Powell George Edward, farmer & assistant overseer, Tyllwyd
Powell William, farmer, Pentwyn frm
Price William. farmer, Uplands farm
Robins Anne (Mrs.), frmr. Camp Ho. frm
Vaughan Thomas, miller (water), Llangwm mill
Williams John, farmer, Church farm
Williams Thos. farmer, Trelay farm

LLANGWM ISA.
Jones Rev. John M.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL Hodges John, farmr. Llangwm Isa frm
Perrot James, farmer
Powell Sidney, farmer & assistant overseer, Pentre farm
Williams Herbt. frmr. New House frm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Llangwm/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library