Marshfield / Maerun

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

MARSHFIELD, otherwise St. Mary's Field, is a parish on the Cardiff and Newport road, with a station (in the parish of Peterstone), 1¼ miles south-east from the village on the Great Western (South Wales) railway, 6½ miles south-east from Cardiff, 1½ miles from the Bristol Channel, 150 miles from London and 5½ south-west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The parish is intersected by the rivers Usk, the Ebbw and the Rumney. The Usk is navigable as far as the ancient city of Caerleon. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, south porch and a lofty tower with spire containing 6 bells: the restoration of the church, begun in 1867, has been since continued: in 1883 the chancel floor was relaid, and a reredos erected by Capt. Ferdinand Walker: an organ has been placed in a new chamber on the north side of the chancel: the south porch is entered through a fine Norman arch: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1656.

The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge commuted at £50, average £40, gross yearly value £105, net £81, including 35 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and held since 1855 by the Rev. Samuel Evanss of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Peterstone. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1853 at a cost of £2,000, and will seat 700 persons. The Wesleyan chapel is a stone building in the Decorated style, erected in 1854 at a cost of about £2,000, with sittings for about 200 persons. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel to seat about 150 persons. Craig-yr-haul, the residence of Colonel Frederick John Justice; Castleton, the residence of Sir George F.R. Walker bart. D.L., J.P.; Bryn-Ivor Hall, the residence of John Wyndham Beynon esq. and "Llwynarthan" Castleton, the residence of Franklen George Evans esq. J.P. for counties of Monmouth and Glamorgan, are the principal mansions in this parish. Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Halswell Milborne Kemeys-Tynte esq. and J. H. Stubbs esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, gravel The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, roots and pasture. The area is 2,300 acres; rateable value, £2,386; the population in 1891 was 564.

Parish Clerk, William Morgan.

Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Castleton.- Edward Cosslett, sub-postmaster. Letters through Cardiff, arrive at 7.10 a.m.; dispatched at 3.40 & 6.20 p.m

Post Office, Blacktown.- Mrs. Fanny Jones, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Castleton is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Wall Letter Box at Cross roads, cleared at 5.35 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), erected, with master's residence, in 1861, at a cost of £1,500, for 200 children; average attendance, 70; Thomas Deeth, master; Miss Florence Emily Deeth, mistress

Railway Station, Albert Smith, station master

Beynon John Wyndham, Bryn Ivor hll
Evans Franklen George J.P., F.R.A.S., F.R.Met.Soc. Llwynarthen, Castleton
Evans Rev. Samuel, Vicarage
Jones Rev. William Ernest (curate), Pentwyn cottage
Justice Col. Fredk. Jn. Craig-yr-Haul
Lloyd Rev. Robt. (Baptist), Sunnybnk
Lloyd John Hier, Brodawel
Palling Mrs. New Park house
Rails Edgar, Ty-coch
Walker Sir George Ferdinand Radzivill F. bart. D.L., J.P. Castleton
Williams Howell, The Elms

Baker David, fanner, Groes farm
Baker Matthew, baker
Bevan Jessie, market gardener & assistant overseer
Bradey Charles, beer retailer
Chappell Henry, baker
Cosslett Edwd. blacksmith & post office
Cosslett John, market, gardener, Gwaunllwydd
Davies Edward, farm bailiff to Charles D. Phillips esq. Church frm
Davies William Hier, farmer, Walk frm
Edwards Stephen, butcher
Evans Edmund, cooper
Evans Edward, market gardener, Lowr. Pentwyn
Fursey & Harris, carpenters
Harris William, mason
House John, beer retailer
Jones Ann (Mrs.), frmr. Reubina frm
Jones Evan, Angel inn
Jones Evan, grocer
Jones Frederick, farmer & cattle dealr. Ty Mawr
Jones Thomas, market gardener
Jones Thomas, farmer, Well House fm
Jones Thomas Davies, frmr. Court fm
Jones Watkin, farmer, Blacktown
Jones Zephaniah, butcher & farmer

Kendall Edward Ambrose, tailor
Knott & Co. tailors
Kyte Jenevus J. boot & shoe maker, Pen-y-cae
Lawrence John, grocer & draper
Morgan Edward, farmer, Spring court
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Lower house
Morgan Thomas, farmer & butcher, Blacktown
Morgan William, market gardener
Parsons James, farmer, Gelly Bear
Parsons Mark, Coach & Horses P.H. & wheelwright
Pretty David, market gardener
Richards John, farm bailiff to John Wyndham Beynon esq
Roberts Daniel, farmer, New house
Samuel Rachel (Mrs.), market gardnr
Sheppard Arthur, saddler
Vivian Frederick, coffee tavern
Williams Evan, market gardener
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library