Michaelstone y Fedw / Llanfihangel y Fedw

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

MICHAELSTON-Y-VEDW, or LLANVIHANGEL-Y-VEDW, is a parish partly in Glamorganshire and partly in this county, on the river Rumney, which is not navigable; the Monmouthshire side of the parish stands upon rising ground and is bounded on the west by the river Rumney, which separates the two counties; the village is 2 miles north-west from Marshfield station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 5¼ west-south-west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentlloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, transept and embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the chancel is in the Gothic style of the 13th century, but the nave and tower are of later date: the transept is the ancient burying-place of the Kemeys family: the old font is sculptured with a figure of the patron saint treading on the serpent: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1661.

The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £499, average £304, net yearly value £350, with 17 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of H.M. Kemeys-Tynte esq. and held since 1893 by the Rev. John Williams Evans M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a Baptist chapel in the parish. Lord Tredegar is lord of the manor of Michaelston and the Marquess of Bute lord of the manor of Llanvedw. The principal landowners are Lord Tredegar and Halswell Milborne Kemeys-Tynte esq. The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, stony clay. The crops are the usual cereals. The area is 3.359 acres; rated to the poor - Monmouth side, £997; Glamorgan, £1,949; the population in 1891 was 473 - Monmouthshire, 198; 2,338 acres and 279 of the population being in Glamorganshire, for which see S. Wales Directory (Llanvedw).

Post & T.O.- Joseph Spooner, sub-postmaster. Letters by mail cart from Cardiff, arrive at 8 a.m.; dis- patched at 5.45 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is Castleton

Wall Letter Box, near Cefn Mably Arms cleared at 6 p.m. not sundays

Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1826, with master's residence, for 80 children; average attendance, 48; the school was founded & endowed by the late rector, the Rev. Dr. Tate, for all the children in the parish, free from any expense; the income is about £64 yearly; Mrs. Julia Wheeley, mistress

Cory Herbert Beynon J.P. Druid stone
Evans Rev. John Williams M.A. Rectry

COMMERCIAL.
Bishop Rachel (Mrs.), grocer
Culverwell Robert, blacksmith
Jones Daniel, farmer, Ty Hyr
Emerson Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Fair-water farm
Jones Thos. farmer, Nant-y-Yehan
Jones William, farmer, Upper Pantyrhiw-goch
Rowland Wm. farmer, Woodvale house
Kelly Henry George, Cefn Mably Arms P.H. farmer & cattle dealer
Seys Chas. frmr. Low. Pantyrhiw-goch
Spooner Joseph, grocer, Post office
Thomas William, farrier. Clearwell fm
Williams Morgan, farmer, Home farm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/MichaelstoneYFedw/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library