Bassaleg / Basaleg

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

BASSALEG is a parish on the Ebbw Vawr river, 162 miles from London, 2¾ west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, and in the rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The Monmouthshire canal runs through the parish and the Great Western and Brecon and Merthyr railways form a junction here. There are four railway stations in the parish; two at Bassaleg; Rhiwderin station and Tydee station. The church of St. Basil, standing on an eminence, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: in 1879 the church was re-seated and restored at a cost of £1,349, and now affords 400 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1768; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, yearly value from tithe rent-charge £334, average £252, gross income £257, net £205, with residence and 1½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Jones B.D. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are Baptist, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels at Bassaleg, Baptist, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels at Tydee and a Congregational chapel at Rhiwderin. The charities, amounting to about £21 10s. yearly, are distributed in bread, money and kind. On an eminence about a mile from the village, is a circular entrenchment, supposed to have been a Saxon camp, about a mile from which is another earthwork, called Pen-y-park, Newydd. Tredegar Park is the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Tredegar D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and a little pasturage. The area is 6,955 acres; rateable value, 224,656; the population in 1891 was 3,851 Duffryn is a hamlet 1 mile south; population in 1891, 269.

Graig is a hamlet three-quarters of a mile west; population in 1891, 1,193.

Rogerstone is a hamlet, including the village of Tydee, 1½ miles north-west, with a station on the Western Valleys section of the Great Western railway; population in 1891, 2,389. The church of St. John, a chapel of ease to St. Basil, Bassaleg, erected in 1888, at a cost of £2,370, is an edifice of blue stone with Bath stone dressings in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are 310 sittings. The Catholic chapel of SS. Basil and Gwladys, is a Gothic structure of stone, opened in Oct. 1892, and has about 150 sittings. Here are the remains of an ancient castle.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Gilford.

Post, M.O. & T.O. & S.B. & Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Bassaleg.- William. Taylor, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Newport at 7.15 & 10 a.m.; dispatched at 10 a.m. & 6.25 p.m

Post & M.O.O. & S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Rogerstone.- George Hiley, sub-postmaster, Letters from Newport arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 12.12, 5.25 & 7.50 p.m. Bassaleg is the nearest telegraph office

Post Office, Rhiwderin.- Mrs. Elizabeth Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters from Newport arrive at 7.40 & 9.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m.; sunday, dispatched 12 noon. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Bassaleg is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Wall Letter Boxes.- Garth hill, cleared 9.45 a.m. & 6.10 p.m.; sundays, 12.10 p.m.; Rogerstone, 6.45 p.m.; not sundays

County Constabulary, William Jones, constable in charge, and George Cook, at Tydee

Places of Worship, with times of Services.
St. Basil Church, Rev. John Jones B.D.; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m

St. John's, Rogerstone; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

SS. Basil & Gwladys Catholic, Rogerstone, Rev. Alfred C. Knight, priest; 6 p.m.; mondays 7 p.m.; mass 10 a.m. last sunday in the month

Baptist (Bethel), Bassaleg, Rev. William Morgan; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; fri. 7.30 p.m

Baptist, Cefn, Tydee, Rev. Thomas G. James; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m

Wesleyan, Tydee, Rev. J. Llewellin; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m

Congregational, Bassaleg, no fixed hours of service
Congregational, Rhiwderin; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m

Wesleyan, Bassaleg; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m

Schools.
Duffryn & Graig School Board, consisting of 5 members, was formed. 19 June, 1874; W. Wade, solicitor, 34 Dock street, Newport, clerk; Benjamin Bayton, Rhiwderin, attendance officer

Rogerstone & Henilyss School Board of 5 members was formed 12 June, 1874; T. H. Christophers, Rhiwderin, clerk to the board; G. H. Robinson, attendance officer

Bassaleg, endowed by Rowland Morgan esq. with £20, it was built in 1880, for 70 children, & afterwards enlarged, & now holds 275 children; average attendance, 180; Thomas William Gould, master

Board, Tydee, built in 1877, & enlarged, in 1889, for 600 children; average attendance, 115 boys; 106 girls & 107 infants; Artemus Llewellyn, master; Miss Louisa Jones, mistress; Miss Sarah Elizabeth Harmer, infants' mistress

Board, Rhiwderin, built in 1877, for 210 children; average attendance, 60 boys; 47 girls & 56 infants; Edmund Grainger, master; Miss Mary Hanmer, infants' mistress

Railway Stations.
Brecon & Merthyr, Francis Henry Shepherd, station mstr
Western Valleys, John Ricketts, station master
Rhiwderin, John Rotheroe, station master

Tydee, Harry Davis, station master

BASSALEG.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Birkett Ernald. S. 4 Richmond terrace
Birkett William, Bryn-Rhos
Daniels George A. 3 Richmond terrace
Davies Edward J.P. The Garth
Davies Edward Humfrey, Sunnyside
Grant William John, Highfield house
Green Mrs. Fir View house
Jones Rev. Jn. B.D.(vicar), Vicarage
Morgan Hon. Arthur John D.L., J.P. Tredegar park
Morgan Rev. William (Baptist)
Morgan William Morris, Brynhaulog
Patrick Mrs. Ann, Garth cottage
Rees William George, Holly house
Smith Reginald Edwin, The Cottage Stubbs Rev. William Lucas (curate)
Thomas Chas. Hy. C.E. Basseleg ho
Tredegar Lord D.L., J.P. Tredegar park; & 39 Portman square W & Carlton, Army & Navy, Boodles & St. Stephen's clubs, London SW

COMMERCIAL.
Andrews John, farmer, Pentwyn
Baker David, farmer, Croes-Carneinon Graig
Baker Thos. frmr. Croes-Heolydd Graig
Basham John, market gardener
Bishop Charles, horse breaker
Charles Edward, commission agent, Belle-vue, Pentrepoeth
Davies Daniel, farmer, Tyffos-y-fran
Griffiths Margaret (Mrs.), farmer, Garth farm
Hiley George, boot ma. & post office
James Ann & Emma (Misses), shpkprs
James Ivor Richard, wheelwright
James John, smith
Jones Alfred Rees, farmer, Sunny bank, Graig
Jones Cecilia (Mrs.), Tredegar Arms
Jones Margaret Mrs.), The Three Salmons P.H
Jones Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Pensidan farm
Jones Thomas, beer retailer
Jones Thomas, farmer, Bridge farm
Jones Thomas, farmer, Pen-y-lan
Jones Wm.frmr. & cattle dlr. Pen-y-lan
Jury George, farmer, Cripath farm
Kelly Henry, farmer, Pen-y-lan
Lewis Lewis, butcher

McCarthy Dan, market gardener
Martin Beatrice (Miss), dress maker
Matthews Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Little Pencarn
Meek Thomas Henry, beer retailer
Morgan Isaac, grocer, Garth hill
Morgan William, Blackbirds Nest frm
Morris Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Maes Mawr
Moses Isaac, farmer, & btchr. Church fm
Phillips Rees, farmer, Ffynon-oder
Powell Wm. farmer, Pentretai, Graig
Pugh John, farmer, Tymelin farm
Prujean Francis Philip, commercial traveller, Pentrepoeth
Rees Blanch (Mrs.), farmer, Bryn Hedydd, Graig
Rees Wm. Geo. farmer, Holly ho. Graig
Richards Jn. farmer, Ellynos Foch fm
Ricketts John, station master
Roberts William, farmer, Neuadd wen
Rosser Thos. farmer, White barn, Graig
Russell John, shopkeeper
Shepherd Francis Henry, station mstr
White Thomas, haulier & beer retailr
Williams Jsph. frmr. Little Newbridge
Williams Henry, farm bailiff to C.D. Phillips esq. Nant-Coch

DUFFRYN.
Stratton Richard
Greenaway James, bailiff to Lord Tredegar, Ebbw place
Jones Rachael (Mrs.), frmr. Duffryn ct
Machray Thomas Scott, surveyor to Lord Tredegar, Alma cottage
Seys Susan (Miss), farmer, Graig-y-Saison
Stratton Richard, farmer
Tinsley William, farm bailiff to R. Stratton esq

RHIWDERIN.
Churley John, Springfield house
Walker Leolin Forestier, Park house, Graig

COMMERCIAL.
Baker Edwin, farmer, Gloch-wen
Bond Annie (Mrs.), Carpenters' Arms
Bond William, farmer, Twyn-y-ffynon
Christophers Thomas Harris, farmer & assistant overseer, Nadda farm
Christophers William, farm bailiff to T.H. Christophers esq. Pumpheol farm
Cooper Joseph, market gardener
Davies Joseph, Maypole P.H. carpenter & wheelwright
Edmunds William, grocer & baker
Evans William, oil & lamp dealer
Everson Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
Jones Edwd. Rhiwderin inn, & coal mer
Kent Martha (Miss), tailoress & btchr
Rees Jas. beer retailer & coal mercht
Roberts Titus, grocer & news agent
Rotheroe John, station master
Williams Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, & post office

TYDEE.
Budding, William, Cefn
Dodd Octavius, Ivy house
George Lewis, Derwallt house
Hudson Robert
James Rev. Thomas G.(Baptist), Cefn
Taylor William, Gladstone house
Wade Newton Tydee house
Wade William, Tydee house
Williams Rev. Basil M.A. (rector of Risca), Risca vicarage
Williams Ephriam, Orchard place
Williams Daniel, Myrtle cot. Riscard

COMMERCIAL.
Anstey Priscilla (Mrs.), mrkt.grdnr
Davis Harry, station master
Edwards Edward (exors. of), farmers, Tynyffynon
Edwards Edwd., farmer, Wenallt-lower
Edwards Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Tressillia terrace
Evans John, beer retailer, Cefn
Fyfe Isaac, beer retailer
Griffiths William, Tydee hotel
Harris William, farmer, Pontnewydd
Hiley George, butcher
Hobbs George, farmer
Hudson Robert, surgeon
Jenkins Benjamin, grocer, Cefn
John Wm. sen. farmer, Tregwilim-fach
Jones Charles, beer retailer, Cefn
Jones Joseph, sanitary officer, Little Oak, Cefn
Lewis Leonard, farmer, Uchaf Wenallt farm
Llewellyn Samuel, tailor
Lloyd Edmund, shopkeeper

Morgan Abraham, Tredegar Arms P.H. Cefn
Paine George, beer retailer
Phelps Henry, wheelwright, Cefn
Richards William (Mrs.), farmer, Mount Pleasant
Roberts Jn. boat owner & haulier, Cefn
Roberts Thomas, farmer, Great Oak
Russell William, blacksmith, Cefn
Samuel Thomas blacksmith, Pen-y-fan
Seys Chas. Rowland, farmer, The Wern
Thomas Sarah Ann (Mrs.), beer retlr
Wattie Robert, market gardener
Williams Benjamin, grocer
Williams James, shopkeeper, Cefn

ROGERSTONE.
Forgham Samuel, Rogerstone villa
Jones Rev. Thomas Richard (curate), Great Oak villa
Williams, John, Rogerstone house

COMMERCIAL.
Allen William, wheelwright
Bailey Harriett (Mrs.), stationer & lamp dealer
Bishop John, greengrocer
Bramhall Samuel, hairdresser
Highley George Henry, grocer
Mills Edward, Rogerstone hotel
Morgan John, farmer, Groes-llan-bro
Myers John, boot maker
Nettlefold Lim. steel & horse nail manufacturers, Castle works & Tydee
Protheroe Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer
Roden Matthew, beer retailer
Rogers John Henry, shopkeeper
Rowland Edward, registrar of births & deaths for St. Wollos sub-district
Rowland William Morgan, draper
Rowlands William, farmer, Pant-glas & Foxhill farms
Samson Robert, farmer, Cwm
Seys Charles, farmer, Tregwillim
Stephens George (Mrs.), farmer, Gol-y-nos
Thomas John, farmer, High cross & Pensarn farms
Watkins Joseph, grocer, The Household stones
Westacott William Lever, baker
Williams William, farmer, Plain farm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Bassaleg/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library