Butterton by Mayfield

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BUTTERTON, near Leek, is a village, townshop and parish on a steep declivity, bounded on the east by the river Manifold, 8 miles east from Leek station on the North Staffordshire railway, 11 north-west from Mayfield and 5 south from Longnor, in the Leek division of the county, North Totmonslow hundred, Leek union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Alstonefield, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and dioces of Lichfield. The church of St. Bartholomew, re-erected in 1872, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and a fine spire with dormer lights, containing 3 bells: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Capt. Jones Byrom, of Leek, and affords sittings for 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1670.

The living is a perpetual curacey, gross yearly value £130, net £120, in the gift of the vicar of Mayfield, and held since 1882 by the Rev. William John Williams. There is a small Wesleyan chapel erected in 1842. Charities amounting to about £10, derived from land bequeathed by Ruth Stubbs and others, are annually distributed amongst the poor. The views from the road between Wetton and Butterton, and at the foot of a steep hill called "Botstone", are of the most beautiful character. A little to the east of the village are several barrows or mounds, called in this neighbourhood "lows"; within some of these, spear-heads and other objects of antiquity have been found. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The land is nearly all pasturage. The acreage is 1,463, belonging to about 83 proprietors, who claim the lordship of the manor; rateable value, £2,003; the population in 1891 was 246.

Parish Clerk, George Chadwick.

POST OFFICE.- John Salt, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Leek at 8.25 a.m.; dispatched, 4.30 p.m.; sundays excepted. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Wetton is the nearest money order office; Hartington is the nearest telegraph office

Undenominational School, build about 1840 & enlarged in 1895, for 80 children; average attendance, 45; & endowed with a house & land left by John Mellor, now let for £15 a year, which sum is appropriated as an addition to the master's salary; Frank Scott, master

CARRIER TO LEEK.- Robert Thompson, on wednesday

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/ButtertonMayfield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library