Cauldon

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CAULDON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 6 miles (W.N.W.) from Ashbourn, containing 350 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wilmot. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. At Caldon-Low are lime-works, from which the greater part of the surrounding country is supplied with lime. The small river Hamp separates this parish from that of Waterfall, and in its course enters the ground at Waterhouses, continuing a subterraneous progress for upwards of five miles.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Cauldon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library