Horton with Lask Edge

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HORTON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Leek, containing, with the townships of Blackwood with Croborough, and Horton-Hay, 942 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of G.C. Antrobus, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone edifice with a tower. A considerable quantity of cheese is made in this neighbourhood. Near Horton is the reservoir belonging to the Caldon canal; it is a mile and three quarters in length, and a quarter of a mile in breadth, and will contain two million four hundred and forty thousand cubic yards of water.

BLACKWOOD, a township, joint with Croborough, in the parish of HORTON, northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (W.) from Leek, containing, with Croborough, 561 inhabitants.

CROBOROUGH, a township, joint with Blackwood, in the parish of HORTON, northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (W.) from Leek. The population is returned with Blackwood.

HORTON-HAY, a township in the parish of HORTON, northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.W. by W.) from Leek. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Horton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library