Keele

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KEELE, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Newcastle under Line, containing 1061 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of William Sneyd, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat embattled stone edifice, not built due east and west. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A small school is supported by voluntary contributions, aided by £5 per annum bequeathed by Madam Frances Sneyd. In the neighbourhood are iron-stone mines, collieries, and smelting-furnaces, which afford employment to upwards of four hundred persons; and about one hundred and seventy are engaged in a silk-throwing mill.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Keele/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library