Rolleston (Rolleston on Dove)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ROLLESTON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Burton upon Trent, containing, with the township of Anslow, or Annesley, 869 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £13. 19. 7., and in the patronage of Sir Oswald Mosley, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Dove runs through the parish; A free school was founded, about 1520, by Robert Sherbourne, Bishop of Winchester, who endowed it with an annuity of £10, to which subsequent benefactions have been added, producing together an income of £37 a year, which is applied to the instruction of forty-five children.

Near the school are ten almshouses, called the hospital, for aged people of both sexes, endowed in 1672, by Mr. Rolleston; six of the inmates have an allowance of coal and four shillings a week each, and the remaining four have three and sixpence each. Rolleston is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

ANSLOW, or ANNESLEY, a township in the parish of ROLLESTON, northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Burton upon Trent, containing 270 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Rolleston/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library