Bratton with Erlestoke

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BRATTON, a chapelry in the parish of WESTBURY, and hundred of WESTBURY, county of WILTS, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Westbury, containing, with Hawkeridge and Haywood, 1295 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Bratton Castle is a strong Danish encampment, where the Danes, after their defeat by the Saxons, held out for fourteen days. On the slope of the hill beneath it is the figure of a horse, cut out, as tradition relates, by the troops of Alfred, in memory of the victory which they obtained on Eddington down: several fragments of military weapons have been dug up in the vicinity of this earthwork.

EARL-STOKE, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of MELKSHAM, county of WILTS, 3 miles (W.) from East Lavington, containing 375 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary.
[Ed: Erlestoke is miles from Melksham - nearer to Bratton, and they now share a vicar]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Bratton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library