Edington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

EDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WHORWELSDOWN, county of WILTS, comprising the tythings of Baynton with West Coulston, Edington, and Tinhead, and containing 1099 inhabitants, of which number, 549 are in the tything of Edington, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Westbury. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant. G.W. Taylor, Esq. was patron in 1826. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome cruciform structure with a tower rising from the intersection. William de Edington, a native of this place, and successively Bishop of Winchester, Lord High Treasurer, Chancellor of the Order of the Garter, and Lord High Chancellor, in the reign of Edward III., besides partly rebuilding the church, founded, about 1347, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Catherine, and All Saints, a college, consisting of a dean and twelve ministers, of whom some were prebendaries; for these were substituted, at the desire of the Black Prince, in 1358, a reformed order of Augustine friars, called Bonhommes, under the government of a rector; its yearly revenue at the suppression was estimated at £521. 12. 5. The bishops of Salisbury had a palace here, which was plundered and destroyed during the rebellion of Jack Cade, in 1450, when Bishop Ayscough was dragged from the altar of his chapel, where he was officiating at mass, and stoned to death on a neighbouring hill. On an eminence about two miles from the village is a strong irregular intrenchment, called Bratton Castle, enclosing an area of twenty-three acres; and on the south-western declivity of the same hill, a remarkable figure of a white horse, in a walking posture, is cut out, measuring one hundred feet both in length and height.

BAYNTON, a tything, joint with West Coulston, in the parish of EDINGTON, hundred of WHORWELSDOWN, county of WILTS. The population is returned with West Coulston.

COULSTON (WEST), a tything, joint with Baynton, in the parish of EDINGTON, hundred of WHORWELSDOWN, county of WILTS, containing, with Baynton, 168 inhabitants.

TINHEAD, a tything in the parish of EDINGTON, hundred of WHORWELSDOWN, county of WILTS, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Edington, containing 472 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Edington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library