Cherhill

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHERHILL, a parish in the hundred of CALNE, county of WILTS, 3 miles (E.) from Calne, containing 346 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Calne, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Treasurer in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. James. On the summit of a hill near the village is Oldborough, or Oldbury, camp, to which it is supposed the Danes retreated after the battle of Ethandune; and on its slope is the figure of a white horse, one hundred and fifty-seven feet long, in the attitude of trotting, cut out of the turf on the chalk rock: it was executed about forty years ago, under the direction and at the expense of Dr. Christopher Allsop, an eminent physician of Calne, and from its lofty situation, this being the highest land between London and Bath, is visible at the distance of twenty or thirty miles, in almost every direction. There is a small endowment for the instruction of children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Cherhill/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library