Compton Bassett

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

COMPTON-BASSETT, a parish in the hundred of CALNE, county of WILTS, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Calne, containing 480 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Combe and Harnham in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 10., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin. Robert Rawlings, in 1786, bequeathed land producing £11 per annum, for teaching ten children, prior to which, in 1706, Elizabeth Giddes gave £8 for educating one.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/ComptonBassett/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library