St Kenelm's Church, Clifton upon Teme (South Aisle)

Recent Photograph of St Kenelm's Church (South Aisle) (Clifton upon Teme)

The South Aisle to the church was added by the WYSHAM family, owners of Woodmanton Manor (about a mile to the north of the village) during the 14th and 15th centuries. Until 1845, the east end was screened off forming a Chantry Chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and indeed this area of the church does seem to have a more commanding presence than the main body of the church.

The top lights in the east window are “not later than” the 14th century, as is the surrounding stonework, but the tracery is modern. There are 3 coats of arms - in the middle, that of Wysham, to the left Poynings, and to the right, the Warrens. The rest of the glass was given by the COUCHER family who owned Woodmanton from the 18th to 20th centuries (information summarised from the guide leaflet).

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 24th July 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/CliftonuponTeme/StKenelm3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library