Hanley Castle with Hanley Swan

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HANLEY-CASTLE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of PERSHORE, county of WORCESTER, 1 mile (N.N.W.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 1424 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's-books at £12. 15., and in the patronage of Sir Anthony Lechmere, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a chapel for the Roman Catholics. Courts leet and baron are held annually. A school, founded by an ancestor of the family of Lechmere, is open to children of both sexes, who are supplied with books, and taught upon Dr. Bell's system: the endowment consists of land producing an income of £160 per annum, with a school-house and garden; the classics were originally taught, and the school had formerly two small exhibitions to Balliol College, Oxford. The river Severn runs through the parish, on the margin of which there was a castle successively possessed by the Nevilles, Earls of Warwick, the De Spensers, and the Lechmeres: its remains have been converted into a farm-house.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/HanleyCastle/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library