Ripple

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

RIPPLE, a parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of PERSHORE, but chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 3 miles (S.E. by E.) from Upton upon Severn, containing, with the chapelry of Queenhill, and the hamlet of Holdfast, 963 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Incumbent, rated in the king's books at £42. 6. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The river Severn passes through the parish, which abounds with good limestone. A court leet is occasionally held here. A monastery existed at Ripple so early as the year 770, in Bishop Mildred's time, and was granted to the church of Worcester, by Duke Ælfred, about the commencement of the ninth century.

HOLDFAST, a hamlet in that part of the parish of RIPPLE which is in the lower division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 89 inhabitants. Here was anciently a chapel, which has been demolished.

QUEENHILL, a chapelry in that part of the parish of RIPPLE which is in the lower division of the hundred of PERSHORE, county of WORCESTER, 3 miles (S.S.E.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 94 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Ripple/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library