Overbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

OVERBURY, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Tewkesbury, containing, with the chapelries of Alstone, Teddington, and Little Washbourn, and the hamlet of Conderton, 764 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £9. 10., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Faith. Here are some malt-kilns and a paper-mill.

ALSTONE, a chapelry in the parish of OVERBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Tewkesbury, containing 79 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Margaret.

CONDERTON, a hamlet in the parish of OVERBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, containing 89 inhabitants.

TEDDINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of OVERBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Tewkesbury, containing 146 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas.

WASHBOURN (LITTLE), a chapelry in the parish of OVERBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Tewkesbury, containing 55 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Overbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library