The Feathers Hotel, Ledbury

Recent Photograph of The Feathers Hotel (Ledbury)

'The Feathers' is probably the third-most photographed feature in Ledbury - the other two being the approach to St Michael & All Angels Church via Church Lane, and the Market Hall. Its earlier name was ‘The Plume of Feathers’, being a reference to the three-feathered emblem of the Prince of Wales.[1]

It was a former coaching Inn being a staging point on the Royal Mail route from London to Aberystwyth. The coach passed through Cheltenham, arriving at ‘The Feathers’ at 10.00am and after a change of horses proceeeded to Hereford, where both carriage and horses were changed.[2]

St Katherine's Chapel and Hall (the red stone building) can just be seen on the right of this photograph, beyond which are St Katherine's Almshouses. St Katherine's Clock dates from 1637, being one of the earliest in the country. It was restored in 1986 and dedicated to the memory of Lisa Mallen (1964-1981)

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

[1] Eisel, John and Shoesmith, Ron - The Pubs of Bromyard, Ledbury and East Herefordshire. Published by Logaston Press, 2003   £9.95.   ISBN 1 873827 63 6
[2] Wargent, George - Recollections of Ledbury. Edited by Mary Ring and printed by Tilleys, Ledbury 1998 (from articles published originally in ‘The Ledbury Free Press & Hereford Advertiser’, 1905)

Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 14th May 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library