St Bertoline's Church, Barthomley (South View)

Recent Photograph of St Bertoline's Church (South View) (Barthomley)

“BARTHOMLEY (is) a parish partly in the hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, and partly in the north division of the hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 7 miles to the E. of Nantwich. The Crewe, Stoke, and Uttoxeter section of the North Staffordshire railway passes through it. Alsager, Crewe Green, and Haslington are chapelries, with their several district churches, and Batterley a township of this parish.

The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £824, in the gift of the Trustees of the late Lord Crewe. The church is ancient, and is dedicated to St. Bertoline. It has a Norman porch, and a carved and richly ornamented roof, put up in 1589. It contains a sculptured altar-tomb, with an effigy of Sir Robert Fulshurst, who died in 1389, and several other monuments. The charitable endowments amount to £51, including £10, the revenue of a small school founded in 1676. The principal seat is Barthomley Hall, situated on Alsager Heath.”

(Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 21st October 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Barthomley/StBertoline.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library