Pictures of the Past : Chantry Cottage, Ashford

Old Photograph of Chantry Cottage (Ashford)

This image is dated about 1902, and shows the contributor, Moyra Burnett's grandparents, (NEEDHAMs), with her aunts and uncles, and her mother as a little girl in the foreground. The name of the Cottage derives from the Chantry House built in 1257 by Griffin, son of a Welsh prince, for the saying of masses for his soul.

The building attached to the Cottage was formerly Ashford Methodist Chapel. This is of a rather later date, 1899; but has been closed for worship since 1994. Thanks to Janet Kirk for these additional details - she has also very kindly provided a more recent photograph of Chantry Cottage showing that the cottage and surrounds have changed little today.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Moyra Burnett on 16th September 2000.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Ashford/chantry.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library