Beeley, Derbyshire

White's Gazetteeer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000

BEELEY is a township, chapelry and village, on the east bank of the Derwent, 4½ miles E.S.E. from Bakewell, contains 3,240A. 1R. 31P. of land, and in 1861, had 420 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,162 13s. 3d. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and principal owner; but Robert Arkwright, Esq., has also an estate here. The Church (St. Anne) is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and low tower with three bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £98. Duke of Devonshire, patron; and Rev. George S. Outram, B.A., incumbent. The Parsonage is a handsome stone Gothic building, erected in 1856. The school was erected in 1841. The Methodists have a small Chapel. Feast, first Sunday in July.

Buckley Thomas, overlooker of roads &c. to the Duke of Devonshire
Down Samuel, stone mason
Halksworth George, shoemaker
Hawkins Ellen, schoolmistress
Hawksworth John, joiner and shopkeeper
Holmes Joshua vict., Devonshire Arms
Lees Thomas, ale and porter dealer
Marsden William George, schoolmaster
Morton Edward, parish clerk
Outram Rev. George S., B.A., incumbent
Roose Thomas, timekeeper at Chatsworth; h Park Lodge
Worrall Charles, farm bailiff to the Duke of Devonshire

Farmers.
Bark William, Parkgate Farm
Brown John, The Fallinge
Drabble Mary Harwood Grange
Fretwell William, Hunger hill
Froggatt Thomas
Grafton Samuel (& quarry owner and grindstone mnfr.)

Hogg Agar, Harwood Grange
Holmes George
Holmes Sarah and Ludlam John
Holmes William
Lees John, The Greaves

Lees Wm., Beeley hill top
Ludlam Henry, Fallinge
Ludlam Peter
Turner Martha, Harwood Grange
Worrall Charles

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from of an original edition in the Society of Genealogists' Library.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Beeley/White1862.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library