Eckington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ECKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, comprising the townships of Eckington, Mosborough, Renishaw, and Troway, and containing 3598 inhabitants, of which number, 1013 are in the township of Eckington, 7 miles (N.E. by N.) from Chesterfield. The living is a rectory with Killamarsh in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £40. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. There is a chapel of ease at Killamarsh.

The Wesleyan Methodists have two places of worship, and there is a Roman Catholic chapel within the parish. Here are several manufactories for scythes and sickles, the produce of which, besides being transmitted to all parts of England, is exported to America, Russia, Poland, Scotland, Ireland, &c. A considerable quantity of nails is made in the parish. A statute fair for the hiring of servants is held on the 5th of November. The Chesterfield canal passes through the parish.

Thomas Cam, in 1704, gave lands for the endowment of a free school; in 1717 George Sitwell gave a school house; and in 1719, Lady Trechville [sic - perhaps this should be 'Frechville'] bequeathed £100 in furtherance of this charity, the present annual income of which is about £70: the school is partly conducted on the National plan. A school for girls, which is also a Sunday school, is supported entirely by Lady Sitwell. There are also endowed schools at Mosborough, Renishaw, and Ridgeway. There are several benefactions for the relief of the poor.

MOSBOROUGH, a township in the parish of ECKINGTON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 8 miles (N.N.E.) from Chesterfield, containing 818 inhabitants. Joseph Stones, in 1680, devised a dwelling-house, croft, and garden, for the use of a schoolmaster, also land now producing an annual income of about £18, for the free education of fifteen children.

RENISHAW, a township in the parish of ECKINGTON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 75 miles (N.E.) from Chesterfield, containing 551 inhabitants, who are principally employed in the extensive iron-foundry established on the Chesterfield canal, which passes through the township. Thomas Camm, in 1702, bequeathed land and premises yielding about £46 per annum, which sum, and two subsequent bequests by Lady Frecheville and Peter Cadman, amounting to £10 a year, are applied for the instruction of about twenty-seven children.

TROWAY, a township in the parish of ECKINGTON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Chesterfield, containing 1216 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Eckington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library