Village Green and Stocks, Eyam

Recent Photograph of Village Green and Stocks (Eyam)

The building behind the Stocks with the single chimney is the old Market Hall. Two notice boards on its doors, providing the following information:

The Market Hall
--- + ---
This building was used by
farmers' wives to sell their
eggs, butter, cheese
& poultry on market days.
It was restored in the
19th century.

The Stocks
--- + ---
The stocks were probably
erected by the local
Barmote Court,
which ruled the lead mining
industry, for the punishment
of offending miners who
committed relatively minor
offences.
They were restored in 1951
to mark the
Festival of Britain.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Andrew McCann on 16th February 2002.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Eyam/TheStocks2.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library