St Helen's Church, Grindleford

Recent Photograph of St Helen's Church (Grindleford)

St Helen's Church was built in 1909/10 to accomodate an increase in population in the village after the Totley Railway Tunnel was opened in 1894. The Maynard family had owned land in the Nether Padley area of Grindleford for several generations, and Mr E A J Maynard donated one and a half acres of land for the church site. Stone for building was provided by nearby Stoke Quarry, and work began in November 1909. The building, consisting of a chancel, south chapel and vestries and temporary nave, took less than a year to complete - the Dedication, by the Bishop of Southwell taking place on 21st September 1910.

As a result of more funds becoming available, a new porch, kitchen and WC were added in 1983.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Don & Sheila Rimmington on 21st July 2001.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Grindleford/StHelen.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library