Village Green, Grindleford (c.1950)

Recent Photograph of Village Green (c.1950) (Grindleford)

View circa 1950 showing the Sir William Hotel on the right, looking towards the War Memorial & The Green, on which there is a sundial (now lost). There is a road sign just visible by the tree on the left, which can be seen on magnification to say “Hathersage 2½ - A622” revealing that the Hathersage Road (now B6001) was classified as an A road then!

Compare this with an earlier view of the Village Green, taken no later than 1903 (there is no War Memorial), and another view of the Village Green (2001), by which time the cottage facing us on the right has been partially demolished for road widening.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alan Jacques on 24th January 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Grindleford/VillageGreen2.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library