Horsley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HORSLEY, a parish in the hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, comprising the townships of Horsley, Horsley-Woodhouse, and Kilbourne, and containing 1714 inhabitants, of which number, 624 are in the township of Horsley, 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Derby, The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £7. 5. 5., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Chesterfield. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is spacious and handsome, and is surmounted by a spire of curious workmanship; over the south door is a very antique crucifix in a perfect state.

Six boys of the township of Horsley are eligible as scholars and pensioners to Richardson's school at Smalley. A National school was erected in 1828, and is supported by voluntary contributions. At Denby, in this parish, is a school founded and endowed, about the year 1739, by Mrs. Jane Massey, with land now producing £30 per annum. The Little Eaton railway passes through this parish. On the summit of a hill, about a mile from the church, are the ruins of the ancient baronial castle of Horestan, or Horston, said to have been built in the twelfth century. In the time of Elizabeth this edifice was in the possession of the Stanhope family, and was then in "neatly good repair".

HORSLEY-WOODHOUSE, a township in the parish of HORSLEY, hundred of MORLESTON-and-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Derby, containing 692 inhabitants.

KILBOURNE, a township in the parish of HORSLEY, hundred of MORLESTON-AND-LITCHURCH, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Derby, containing 498 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Horsley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library